Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day there was a product called Metabolift by Twinlab. It had Ma-huang in it and it gave you extra energy that lasted a long time.

The downside was that it could kill you.

I believe Mountain Bike magazine did a write up on it once before it became known as dangerous. They raved about it.

So, now that the good stuff has been banned, what is everyone using?

For me, caffeine from coffee is about it, but I am willing to try something good, as long as it's legal.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

As much as I love my espresso, I have to note that caffeine and other stimulants (including ma huang) don't "give" you any extra "energy." They stimulate your metabolism to faster utilize the energy you ingest from food sources. There's no free lunch, and there's always a down to follow an upper.

But I do love my espresso ;-)

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
I can't for sure yet say if I feel clif shots gel (strawberry with 25 mg caffeine) have been notably helping, but its starting to look like on rides longer than 2 hours, they do.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
SidNitzerglobin said:
Yup, espresso in the morning (every morning whether I'm going riding or not) and sleep.
Don't want to start going all coffeegeek here, but what kind of machines you guys got?

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Coke

Not H&B from teh Lounge but ice cold Coca Cola, Simple, cheap, available anywhere. Of course you could always just eat a balanced diet, train more and sleep and recover appropriately.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
JCavilia said:
Don't want to start going all coffeegeek here, but what kind of machines you guys got?
Modded Rancilio Silvia w/ a Solis Meastro grinder. Thinking about getting one of the pod machines though - much easier and amazingly good espresso.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I focus on my idiot brother and all the stupid things he does. If that doesn't work, then I reach for a GU.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good Olde Mountain Dew!

Throwback Mountain Dew with real sugar. No corn syrup! My college stay up drug of choice.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Home made meals and lots of sleep before the ride. If I loose it during the ride nothing works. Sometimes a chocolate milk will make me feel better.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Sometimes the "Retro" stuff is the best.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts