Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble adjusting my 105 FD. This is 9 speed Ultegra with a triple (actually a mix of Ultegra and 105).

The shifter is really tight and requires a lot of effort.

Sometimes has trouble shifting to the top ring, sometimes has trouble shifting down to the lower rings. Yesterday I couldn;t get it to shift to the small ring, I had to get off the bike and physically push the FD over and spin the crank to get it to shift. Then later it wouldn't shift UP to the big ring. Other times it seems to work ok.

It's almost like the cable has got some grunge in the housing. Think that might be it? Preventing the cable from moving?

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
It could be the housing, it could be the derailleur. Loosen the cable and see if it moves easy by moving the shifter. Click the shifter back down and see if it pulls back easy. If it's not the cable, it could be the derailleur. You'd need to remove, clean, and re-lube it. That happened to my DA derailleur.

· Banned
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the cable housing was grungy, but I cleaned and degreased the chain and so forth and it seems to have gotten it working better.

Note to self: clean bike more often :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.