Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are all of you?? Doing well I hope. Anyway...

So, last week I was cruising on one of my buddies road bikes. I have never ridden a "nice" expensive bike like that before. I instantly fell in love and now want one of my own. I did a good amount of searching before I found this awesome forum and I am glad I did. There is not to many people willing to offer help on this subject. Basically, I want to get a bike but I have no idea where to start. I don't need a $5000 bike seeing that I am new and just need something to learn on before I make such a large investment. Any suggestions and/or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out. :thumbsup:

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
There's a thread called "Buying a First Bike on a Budget" that will give you lots of different opinions. Will your friend with the nice bike help you shop, at least for assistance with sizing and fit?

There's no right or wrong answer at that price point, so just don't make the error some do in getting so overwhelmed that you are frozen with indecision. I have some personal faves at the sub-$1000 price point (esp. Giant OCR2), but it is just one person's opinion and due to fit issues, some riders just flat out like the feel of certain bikes better than others.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
For the amount you have budgeted, you might want to take a look at www.nashbar.com and www.performance.com. For the price, their bikes are pretty good. You could also consider a used bike too. Whatever you but, make sure it fits you perfectly. If it doesn't, there's little you can do about it, and you'll always regret it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This may sound stupid but......last year I bought an Trek 1200 just to try riding. I got hooked, and now I've just stepped up and bought an expensive road bike. At first I thought that it would be good to have a back-up for bad weather, BUT I don't plan to ride in bad weather. Now I wish I hadn't spent the money to buy the lower end bike.

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
CTinCT, thats not dumb at all. I knew that this was something I'd stick with so i invested in a midlevel bike. this way I won't be pissed with a bad bike and waste money. If you know this is something you want to stick with, save up for a nice bike, because if you don't, you may end up wasting a lot of money on upgrades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.