Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what is going on, but Lynskey seems to be trying to dump a lot of product lately. They have crazy deals on frames on their website, and are selling through outlets like Chain Reaction Cycles for huge discounts as well. I don't know if they are trying to gain market share, or having trouble paying the bills. Either way it is killing the value on used bikes, which does not help when your are trying to sell one.:mad2: Sorry, that is my own personal issue, but still, one has to wonder.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I can only agree with that. Their business model just seems to suit that kind of marketing I guess. it does place them on a tier below shops like Seven and Moots I guess, though I am not sure their frames are lesser items.

I paid full price for two of my Lynskeys. And I picked a Lynskey helix-frame mountain bike frame for like 65% off on clearout. All direct from the factory. My latest bike was a custom rush order, and they did it fast and at a price lower than any other source of custom Ti with S&S couplers. So for that, I like the service and product quality.

And heck, I know some folks have bought late model used bikes for unbelievable low prices (eg a guy I know just bought a barely used 2016 Tarmac w ultegra Di2 for $2k complete). So depreciation and resale of bicycles can be a total crap shoot. No matter what you have, you are going to take a bath I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....No matter what you have, you are going to take a bath I think.
The bath is being taken now I'm afraid. The bike has been on eBay 2 full weeks with a ton of watchers, but no bids. I started at 50 percent of new price, and nothing. So now it's at 33 percent and just got it's first bid. I have sold a number of other bikes in the past and never taken a beating this bad before. That said, I never consider bikes as an monetary investment. My time riding them is how I get my value out of them.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had had followed a handful of EBay auctions that Lynskey had on used frames about 3 months ago. They sold for CHEAP! I could not believe the prices.

I totally hear hear you on their constant discounting will hurt your chances of fetching decent dollars for your bike though.

They must be moving to a factory direct model as I could not imagine any shop would risk stocking them any longer.

On the other side of the coin I was happy to get mine heavily discounted and will never consider paying full price moving forward. I kind of like the fact that I don't feel like I need to drop serious coin on a Seven, IndyFab or Holland.

My first Lynsky was a new Pro 29 I picked up for a steal several years ago.

The bath is being taken now I'm afraid. The bike has been on eBay 2 full weeks with a ton of watchers, but no bids. I started at 50 percent of new price, and nothing. So now it's at 33 percent and just got it's first bid. I have sold a number of other bikes in the past and never taken a beating this bad before. That said, I never consider bikes as an monetary investment. My time riding them is how I get my value out of them.:)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow, I did not know they take trade-ins.

I already have a Titanium bike I love (Volagi Viaje), but if they'll give me a reasonable trade-in on my nearly-new, too-big-for me Surly Straggler (Shimano 5700), combined with their discount, I might just have to pick up another one. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting thoughts here. I too originally bought my bike on a Lynskey special. The local Lynskey shop said they could not sell me the frame alone for the price I paid, not talk about a complete bike with full Shimano 105. I remember they were running a huge pre order to make a run of frames. I guess that is how they are driving the cost down by producing in bulk. That is much different the the one build at a time that shops like Indy, Moots, Seven and other are doing. I don't think they of less quality then the other, just using a different means of production.

Interestingly, my Lynskey ended up going for a better then expected price, as a couple of bidders pushed each other in last minute bidding. While not as much as I wanted, it was still considerably better then what I was expecting.:cool:

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
It's not just Lynskey that has a low resale on eBay. I sold a solid 105 Trek Cronus CX that was in excellent shape. By the time I split the ridiculous UPS cost with the seller, I ended up with $650. ................ I've been enjoying my R150 that I bought over the winter. I purchased direct.

I remember buying a Gunnar frameset about 6 years ago. The bike shop accidently gave me the invoice with my paperwork. The markup was about $425 which was pure profit for the bike shop because I still had to pay for the bike build, etc. Lynskey still makes money even with discounted price since they are selling direct.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I wonder what Lynskey's cost actually is. I was fortunate enough to pick one up off of ebay from the factory for under 600.00. I didn't intend to buy a Lynskey as they would normally be out of my price range, but at that price I couldn't resist. I thought I just got lucky that the factory was pushing out a few overstock frames, but it seems as though they are still doing a fire sale. Most of the frames are selling on ebay between 600-900, even the helix frames. If they are making a decent profit at those prices manufacturing in Texas, can you imagine the margins they make from their standard price.

I suspect there's something else going on.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yes - a weak market for these products in general.

retail business is not a simple matter of: this frame costs us $400 to build so we must get $600 to be profitable or $1000 if the market will bear it. The marginal cost of each unit various considerably on volume. They might be able to be like Moots and sell a tiny number of them with custom geometry for $4000 a piece, and make a good profit. Or they can do equally as well selling tens of thousands of them for $1000 a piece.

And the realities of marketing bicycles cause the prices to be pretty elastic. They are not a crucial staple for consumers, they are purely discretionary. I suspect the market has grown VERY weak in the last year or three. Keep hearing rumblings of Shimano and SRAM being overstocked and not selling the volumes they anticipated. No doubt it has hit the frame makers just as hard. Specialized and Trek have a tighter grip on their marketing network, with tough contracts they enforce on dealers that small companies like Lynskey just are not large enough to enjoy.

I was surprised to get my Helix frame mtn bike from them for $1000 - when list price was $2800.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,451 Posts
Lynskey and when they were Litespeed in the past has pretty much the same business model; full price then at the end of the season or when they had too much inventory, massive discount prices at the factory as well as well-known outlets; CC and Nashbar.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Yeah, I think it's end of season clean up - they had similar pricing the last couple years now August through end of the year, although this year is a little bit lower on frame sets with Forks.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have a question after looking at a few frame photos.

The pics all seem to show a PF30 BB shell, but Lynskey consistently refers to their BB's as "standard English 68 mm".

What's with that?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have a question after looking at a few frame photos.

The pics all seem to show a PF30 BB shell, but Lynskey consistently refers to their BB's as "standard English 68 mm".

What's with that?
don't know for sure. but I advise: get the BSA (english)!

my Pro26 has the PF30. might be part of the reason is was on the loft on deep discount. what a pita to work with. but I eventually got it sorted. Was like it was not machined to the correct dia for the X9 press bit BB i had for it. Ended up with a WheelsMfg unit. I will always opt for BSA if at all possible!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I noticed the LynskeyPerformance seller on eBay is listing lots of R240, Helix and I think the Sportive frame with starting bids in the $500-$800 range. Sure makes it tempting to go that route than say... an XACD build.

Also, does anyone notice the Lynskey Loft is a bit of an Easter egg? I can only find it with a google search, does not seem to be mentioned on their site.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I'm not sure what is going on, but Lynskey seems to be trying to dump a lot of product lately. They have crazy deals on frames on their website, and are selling through outlets like Chain Reaction Cycles for huge discounts as well. I don't know if they are trying to gain market share, or having trouble paying the bills. Either way it is killing the value on used bikes, which does not help when your are trying to sell one.:mad2: Sorry, that is my own personal issue, but still, one has to wonder.
I don't know what has gotten into them but I like it. I won a R240 frame last week on eBay with a minimum bid. UPS says they'll will be delivering today. This will be a fun project putting it together. If I can find a good deal on Chorus, I will go that route

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't know what has gotten into them but I like it. I won a R240 frame last week on eBay with a minimum bid. UPS says they'll will be delivering today. This will be a fun project putting it together. If I can find a good deal on Chorus, I will go that route
Too many projects at the moment (not to mention finances need to settle down), otherwise I would be grabbing one of these to throw my Red grupo onto.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
looks like their troubles have only deepened: lynksey frame | eBay

Lynksey selling pretty much all of their frames under $1000 now, even the Helix and 360 and sportive. sad to see it. Trying to sell my 26er lynksey MTB and not getting interest (double whammy: lynskey and 26 wheels !). but still loving and sticking with my R150.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
looks like their troubles have only deepened: lynksey frame | eBay

Lynksey selling pretty much all of their frames under $1000 now, even the Helix and 360 and sportive. sad to see it. Trying to sell my 26er lynksey MTB and not getting interest (double whammy: lynskey and 26 wheels !). but still loving and sticking with my R150.
Are they in financial trouble? I assumed they were just selling excess inventory. Either way, I would not mind picking up one of their frames. They are selling quite inexpensively on Ebay, and they include Lynskey's warranty.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,451 Posts
This is pretty much the way (Lynskey) Litespeed and Lynskey have operated for years; at the end of the season, a huge dump of their products through EBay (and previously Colorado Cyclist) and whatever other outlets that will shove their stuff out the door. No different than seasonal apparel.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts