Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I started biking I've been envious of those who bike to work. When I lived back east, my commutes were too long for regular bike-commuting (though I did start to do a combo car/bike commute sometimes). And now, out in Colorado, I'm an independent consultant and I work from home. No commute. But I do use my bike to "commute" to meetings, to run errands, to go out to dinner etc. Today I had to run a few errands and brought the camera along.

I use my trusty Gunnar Crosshairs most of the time and, depending on what I need to do, either a small backpack or my Ortlied panniers. Today it was the panniers.

Usually wear my MTB shoes

Fort Collins is very bike-friendly town. Bike lanes, bike paths, and friendly drivers are the norm.

Approaching the Post Office and navigating a busy intersection

Almost every shopping center, office building, restaurant, bar etc has a good bike rack. Only one place that I can think of doesn't have one.

The one busy road I had to ride today...it took me from the bank to the farmers market. It has a wide bike lane.

Our tiny little farmers market

Occasionally you get a glimpse of the high peaks of the Rocky Mountains, Longs Peak and Mount Meeker in this case.

To go home I cut through a residential area to reach a bike path

Trail art

On the bikes paths, most of the intersections with roads have dedicated signals for cyclist to cross--push a button and the car traffic gets a flashing light to yield to cylcists/pedestrians. And most people obey it.

Today's haul: fresh peaches, raspberries, and Starbucks coffee

I carry my garage door opener when I ride :D

Home sweet home...still getting organized after moving in just a month ago.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
llama31 said:
Occasionally you get a glimpse of the high peaks of the Rocky Mountains, Longs Peak and Mount Meeker in this case.

On the bikes paths, most of the intersections with roads have dedicated signals for cyclist to cross--push a button and the car traffic gets a flashing light to yield to cylcists/pedestrians. And most people obey it.
I rode out your way two summers ago. I can never remember which peak is Longs and which is Meeker. Which is which?

I also recognize that bike path along the railroad. I was flabbergasted that cars actually stop--sometimes even without pushing the button. At first, I thought they were trying to lull me into a false sense of security before mowing me down. But no, it seemed consistent and friendly.

I learned not to stop for a rest, a drink, take in the view, or to consult the map at an intersection. Some motorist would come along, stop and wait for me to cross. Very strange. Nice, but strange.

Do you ever ride the the Club Hypoxia crew?

Anyway, thanks for refreshing my memory of the place. I have to get out there again.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rode out your way two summers ago. I can never remember which peak is Longs and which is Meeker. Which is which?

I also recognize that bike path along the railroad. I was flabbergasted that cars actually stop--sometimes even without pushing the button. At first, I thought they were trying to lull me into a false sense of security before mowing me down. But no, it seemed consistent and friendly.

I learned not to stop for a rest, a drink, take in the view, or to consult the map at an intersection. Some motorist would come along, stop and wait for me to cross. Very strange. Nice, but strange.

Do you ever ride the the Club Hypoxia crew?

Anyway, thanks for refreshing my memory of the place. I have to get out there again.
Longs is the higher peak on the right. It's the only 14er in the National Park. Meeker is just under 14k (my new hobby, though I havne't been up either of these yet).

Drivers are indeed very friendly to cyclists and pedestrians here, in general. There are a few jerks, but not many.

Never heard of club hypoxia but maybe I'll check them out.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
llama31 said:
Meeker is just under 14k (my new hobby, though I havne't been up either of these yet).
I always felt bad for Meeker. It's 13,911 feet, from what I remember, just shy of the cool kids club.

By the way, that's all right next to where I grew up in the Fort.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always felt bad for Meeker. It's 13,911 feet, from what I remember, just shy of the cool kids club.

By the way, that's all right next to where I grew up in the Fort.
Yeah, poor Meeker. On the other hand, being a member of the cool kids club makes a mountain way too crowded on most days. I did Chiefs Head (13579) a couple weeks ago on a weekday and I didn't a single person. And it has some AMAZING views up top.

You ever make it up to the Fort to revisit your old stomping grounds?

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
llama31 said:
You ever make it up to the Fort to revisit your old stomping grounds?
I'm up there a fair bit. I live in Longmont and my Dad still lives in the Fort.

I'll probably be doing the Pennock Pass Rall-eye this December.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
HokieRider said:
I think Ejdo and I would both move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so d*mn far from our families.
It's prolly a good thing that that's a bad thing for you. I'll knoock back some extra Fort Collins beer in your honor.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
brucew said:

I was riding in Winter Park, CO a few years ago and the cars were almost dangerous in their zeal to yield to the bikes. I stopped in the near vicinity of a cross walk just to look around and a car slammed on its brakes. I went ahead and crossed even though I didn't need to just because I felt obliged at that point!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts