Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see tons of posts for advice on the best bike to buy, and lots of responses suggesting to get out and ride, but be sure to get a good fit first. I've also seen warnings to find someone who will take the fit past the saddle height.

As I will be out testing new bikes over the next couple weeks, I'd love to know whether my LBS is really as smart as they sound regarding fit. What should I be looking for?

BTW - if you are wondering, my bike search has been narrowed to a Felt F75 and Spec Roubaix. Tested a couple Bianchis that were nice, but am looking forward to the others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A link to the fitting strategies that the LBS near me recommends

Here's the link:

http://breakawaybikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=85

If you go to their main page and look under "services," they have a little more info on the extra fitting stuff they do at the shop if you go in for an appointment. They claim this is their specialty and they seem to be quite good based on my limited experience.

Based on what another user on this forum told me, I think I'm having fit issues myself (well, my knees are acting weird on my new bike that I bought on the internet, and it is somehow related to my saddle position) so I am probably going to head over for a fitting come spring.

MplsKen said:
I see tons of posts for advice on the best bike to buy, and lots of responses suggesting to get out and ride, but be sure to get a good fit first. I've also seen warnings to find someone who will take the fit past the saddle height.

As I will be out testing new bikes over the next couple weeks, I'd love to know whether my LBS is really as smart as they sound regarding fit. What should I be looking for?

BTW - if you are wondering, my bike search has been narrowed to a Felt F75 and Spec Roubaix. Tested a couple Bianchis that were nice, but am looking forward to the others.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
MplsKen said:

A complete fitting will suggest the placement of every contact point between you and the bike, in all cycling positions and motions. That includes saddle height, fore/aft, angle, handlebar position and location, crank length, shoe cleat position/bearing. I'm probably missing a few things.

So if the shop only considers seat height, you should run and not look back.

Here's an example complete fitting information:

http://www.veloeuropa.com/product_cyfacposturale_specs.shtml
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3617

Don't pick bikes only by feature, you should also realize that different manufacturers have different geometries which will affect fit (or the impossibility of it).

Search through the archives here and you'll find plenty of discussion about fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts