Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I know this theme's surely been done to death. However I'm in the midst of a LOOONNG online training module and I'm looking for creative ways to do my 50/10 productivity.

and I didn't post this on the cycling specific boards cos we all know one NEVER rides with one's ipod on, right? :p :rolleyes:

my mp3 collection resembles the unholy lovechild of a teenaged emo kid, a bitter old gothpunk and a mid-90's drag queen. Currently on shuffle: Chemical Bros. "Mars Needs Women".

also running free in the 45 odd gig of feral digital music I currently have:

Lemon Jelly
Bright Eyes (yes, yarble, I know... I'm sorry. I have velcro on my Sidi Dominators and it affects my brain)
Metal Hearts
Grand National
Sufjan Stevens
Interpol
Goldfrapp
The Killers
The Strokes
Jimmy Eat World, 4 albums' worth
all of George Michael's big danceclub mixes
ditto for Madonna
Billie Holiday
B.B. King
Dead Milkmen
Dead Kennedys
Jesus & Mary Chain
Diana Ross & a bunch of 70's disco rollerskate music (funk, Jacksons, you know the drill)
Paul Simon
Death Cab for Cutie
Simon & Garfunkel
20 years' worth of Duran Duran, U2, Prodigy & Depeche Mode
15 years' worth of NIN
bunch of Echo & the Bunnymen
Ladytron
Franz Ferdinand
Ministry
Machines of Loving Grace
Gang of Four
The Go! Team
The Cure's entire library
Morrissey, but not the Smiths (yes I know I'm crazy)
Tegan & Sara
Massive Attack
Moby
Happy Mondays
Jesus Jones
MC 900 Foot Jesus (very obscure early techno)
Gorillaz
Howard Jones
Nik Kershaw (what HoJo wishes he sounded like if he could actually sing) - Nik's new acoustic album is A-freaking-mazing.
everything ever produced by: Fatboy Slim, Chemical Bros., Crystal Method (bigbeats techno is custom made for bike racers)
My Morning Jacket
Sky Cries Mary
bunches of Blur
craploads of Charlatans
gigabytes of Peter Gabriel
Nada Surf
The Postal Service
Modest Mouse
DJ Tiesto
Leo Kottke
big ol' Louis Armstrong 'best of' compilation
everything ever written by Verve and/or Richard Ashcroft
War
Cake
New Order
Oasis
Coldplay
Rage Against The Machine
lots of Barenaked Ladies (no, J's you can't have them, they're all mine)
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Andres Segovia
Erasure
too many 80's/90's/00's one-hit wonders to list (a-ha, Dishwalla, Maroon 5, etc...)

had I a way to convert / burn all my cassettes and vinyl to mp3, this would look even freakier because it would include stuff like all my dad's old Cream, Doors, John Hartford and Moody Blues albums plus a bunch of obscure 80's pop I collected as a teenager and some amazing underground stuff I got when I was working in dance clubs in my 20's.

I know there are other digital players out there besides apple products, but 'ipod' is fast becoming the 'kleenex' of digital music player nomenclature. I personally have one of the big olympus PC-based players. I'll trade it for an ipod down the road as I'm really liking the integration of the apple machine I'm now working with.

by the way bootcamp is brilliant. Over the next couple weeks I'll be migrating everything over to the MacBook and craigslisting all my craptastic PC shibby.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Send your olympus 'generic ipod' to me when you're finished with it. ;)
 

·
My back hurts
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
All albums:

Arcade Fire, Funeral
Arctic Monkeys, Whatever People Say I Am, that's What I'm Not
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, CYHSY
Franz Ferdinand, You Could Have it so Much Better
James, James
Oasis, What's the Story Morning Glory?
Primal Scream, Screamadelica
Radiohead, OK Computer
Stereolab, Fab Four Suture
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah, some of that's on my list!

mickey-mac said:
All albums:

Arcade Fire
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Stereolab
along with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

btw mickey-mac, I have personally performed the act shown in your avatar, more than once. sucks for both parties involved, that does.
 

·
a jumped up pantry boy
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
im pretty sure you know whats on my ipod already. a couple months ago i said i didnt really like the bloc party album but it really grew on me. after how much i liked the new dcfc im really hoping postal service gets another one out soon. you might like laura viers and/or suburban kids with biblical names. i like them both and we seem to have similar taste in music.the ipod is simply the best mp3 player out there bar none. overpriced yes, but your a campag hag so im sure youll understand.






 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
I have a Creative Zen that has a FM receiver function. I am currently have it plugged into my computer speakers at work listening to World Report on NPR. Seems odd for a neocon bedwetter, but it is true. Music wise, I currently have the following loaded:

Neck and Neck: Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins
Rush Spirit of Radio
Steve Earle Exit Zero
Elvis Costello Spike
STP Purple
Tom Petty, three different albums.
Steely Dan box set.
 

·
My back hurts
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
along with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

btw mickey-mac, I have personally performed the act shown in your avatar, more than once. sucks for both parties involved, that does.
We had a friend do a similar equine endo at a cross-country race we watched about a month ago. She was out cold for close to ten minutes. Fortunately, she came out of it with only a fairly mild concussion and a sore shoulder. She spent about two hours in the er and was released. Her horse was uninjured. Dirt may be softer than asphalt, but I'd rather go off a bike than a horse any day.
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
laura viers

yarble said:
im pretty sure you know whats on my ipod already. a couple months ago i said i didnt really like the bloc party album but it really grew on me. after how much i liked the new dcfc im really hoping postal service gets another one out soon. you might like laura viers and/or suburban kids with biblical names. i like them both and we seem to have similar taste in music.the ipod is simply the best mp3 player out there bar none. overpriced yes, but your a campag hag so im sure youll understand.
I just heard some Laura Viers this AM on streaming radio (WOXY.com yarble, check it out, most of my musical purchases were instigated by listening to them).

97X... BAM, the future of rock n' roll. I was never so happy as to discover when I moved from Cincy to Denver that WOXY had started a streaming internet station. They haven't played a bad song in 25 years.

I'm not going to argue on the ipod theme, and yea I agree with the campag analogy. they are ultimately the way to go if you have a mac machine anyhow. The m:robe is only 20 gig and I'm rapidly outgrowing it, so when I fill it up, I'll get one of the big ipods.

oh and one more thing... god DAMN Morrissey for being so hot to begin with, and then having the utter gall to age so gracefully to an uber-refined magnitude of mature hotness. I hate him.
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
paint said:
Send your olympus 'generic ipod' to me when you're finished with it. ;)
paint, you want it with or without the psychoeclectic emo-kid vs. drag-queen vs. genx'er playlist that's currently infesting it?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bigbill said:
I have a Creative Zen that has a FM receiver function. I am currently have it plugged into my computer speakers at work listening to World Report on NPR. Seems odd for a neocon bedwetter, but it is true. Music wise, I currently have the following loaded:

Neck and Neck: Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins
Rush Spirit of Radio
Steve Earle Exit Zero
Elvis Costello Spike
STP Purple
Tom Petty, three different albums.
Steely Dan box set.
Well let's see politically...
Rush=Objectivist
Steely Dan, Petty, STP, Elvis C, Steve Earle=libbie bed wetters
Chet MIGHT be a con, but pretty sure Knopfler isn't.

Conclusion. Cons make awful music? Name one great rock band/singer who is conservative. I bet you have to go to the corporate country folks before you'd get close.
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Well let's see politically...
Rush=Objectivist
Steely Dan, Petty, STP, Elvis C, Steve Earle=libbie bed wetters
Chet MIGHT be a con, but pretty sure Knopfler isn't.

Conclusion. Cons make awful music? Name one great rock band/singer who is conservative. I bet you have to go to the corporate country folks before you'd get close.
BoJo, if you get my thread moved to PO, I *will* knock you off your bike and kick yer arse next time I see you.

btw did you ever get a chance to check out that CD fulla pics? I was thinking of posting some of last week's Cruze adventures, got a couple GREAT caps from that, too.
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,267 Posts
I only have ipod mini (6gb), so it changes a lot. Right now, every Pink Floyd and Rush studio album, as well as a greatest hits for The Who.

Then you gotta throw in the metal: Enslaved, Immortal, Emperor, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Amon Amarth.

And I often ride with my ipod.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
paint, you want it with or without the psychoeclectic emo-kid vs. drag-queen vs. genx'er playlist that's currently infesting it?
With! It's always good to expand your horizons. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
cmon credit where credit is due please

lonefrontranger said:
Bright Eyes
Sufjan Stevens
Interpol
Ladytron
Franz Ferdinand
My Morning Jacket
yea well I burned you those albums along with some other stuff i cant recall now. and you wouldn't even have pulled the trigger on the MacBook if I hadn't argued with you about it!

crap does this mean I'm gonna go buy campy?

btw thanks for all the wicked techno. I thought i hated electronica but this stuff is amazing on the bike. oh and I'm going to have to go get ANOTHER bottle of lidocaine gel, thank you incredibly for telling me about that stuff, it's awesome. finally, I can sleep.

yarble that picture of the emo boy with the green velcro shoes is hilarious. did you take that?
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
All Kinds of Stuff

Albums

10,000 Maniacs
Alanis Morissette -Jagged Little Pill; SuppossedFormer Infatuation junkie
The Allman Bothers band - At Filmore East; Eat a Peach; legendary Hits
Aretha Franklin
The Beatles- Abby Road;The Whit Album;Sgt peppers;1
Billy Holiday - Solitude
Billy Ocean - Love Zone
Billy Vera & The beaters - By Request,Best of
Blind Faith
Bob Dylan - The Essential Bob Dylan Vol 1 & 2
Bob Mould - Body of Song; Workbook;
Bob Segar & The Silver Bullett Band - Against the Wind
Bonnie Rait - Longing in the heart; Luck of the Draw; Nick of Time; Silver Lining
Brian Wilson - Smile
Bruce Hornsby & The Range - The Way It Is
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA; Born to Run; Devils & Dust; The Rising; Tunnel of Love
Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits
Chicago - Greatest Hits
Coldplay - X & Y
Compilations Jazz - Dream Sessions: the All Stars Play MilesDavis
Cream - The Cream of Clapton
Crosby & Nash - Disc 1 & 2
Crosby Stills & Nash - Greatest Hits
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - 4 Way street; Greatest Hits
Dan Fogelberg - Greatest Hits
David Sanborn - Close Up; Hideway
Derek & The Dominoes - Cream of Clapton
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Dizzy Gillespie - Basquiet Salutes Jazz
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
The Eagles - Hotel california
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Best of
Elton John - Duets;Live in Australia; Songs fromthe West Coast
Eric Clapton - August; BackHome; Crossroads1 & 2 (8 discs); RainbowConcert;Fromthe Cradle;Mr & Mrs Johnson;One more Car,One more rider; Reptile'; Sessions for Robert J; Unplugged; Riding with the King;

& That's A thru E
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
bigbill said:
I have a Creative Zen that has a FM receiver function. I am currently have it plugged into my computer speakers at work listening to World Report on NPR. Seems odd for a neocon bedwetter, but it is true. Music wise, I currently have the following loaded:

Neck and Neck: Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins
Rush Spirit of Radio
Steve Earle Exit Zero
Elvis Costello Spike
STP Purple
Tom Petty, three different albums.
Steely Dan box set.
Ha, busted. NPR is bedwetter central! :)
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
I'm feeling aggressive lately: Fuel, Tool, Nickelback, Buckcherry and *gasp* Metallica. (I feel dirty for that last one but BJII got me rollin' on it.)
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
More....

Genesis - Abacab;Invisible touch
Glenn Fry - The Allnighter
The great jazz Trio - Someday My Prince Will come
Harry chapin - Greatest Stories Live; Gold metal Collection
Heart - Bad Animals; Brigade;Dog & Butterfly; Heart;
Hooters - One Way Home
Ike & Tina Turner - All the Best
Jackson Browne - Solo Accoustic
james Taylor - Classic Songs 1 & 2; Greatest Hits 1 & 2;
Janis Ian - Breaking Silence
Jewel-Pieces of You;Spitir; This Way
Joe Henderson - Porgy & Bess
Joey DeFrancesco with Jimmy Smith - Legacy
John Coltrane - The complete Africa/Brass sessions
John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp
John Mellencamp - American Fool; Lonesome Jubilee
Johnny Cash - Covered by cash
Kenny Wayne Shepherd - The Places You're in
Led Zepplin - IV
Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire
Mark Knopfler - One Take radio Sessions; Sailing to Philadelphia; Shangri-La
Meat loaf - VH-! Storytellers live
Melissa Ethridge - Breakdown; Lucky; Greatest Hits (Road Less Traveled); Ski; Yes I Am
Michelle Branch - The Spirit Room
Miles Davis - And the Modern Jazz Giants; Kind of Blue; Walkin
Muddy Waters- Charlie Blues Legends live
NeilYoung - Greatest Hits; Prairie Wind
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me; Feels Like Home
Oscar Peterson - Oscar Peterson & Clark Terrry; OP Meets Roy Hargrove & Ralph Moore; OP Plays Porgy & Bess; OP Plays Duke Ellington; Satch & Josh Again
Pat Benetar - Best Shots
Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day
Paul Simon - You're The One; Negotions & Love Songs 71-86
Peter Gabriel - So
Phil Collins - ...But Seriously; Testify
Phoebe Snow - Best of
Pnk Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Ray Charles - Shades of Blue; Genius Loves Company
Robert Palmer - Addictions; Riptide
Rod Stewart - It had to be You; Storyteller complete;
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Seal - Best of 91-04
SfJazz collective -
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends; Bridge over Troubled waters; Parsley Sage....;Sounds of Silence; Weds Morning 3 AM;
Simply Red - A New Flame;Picture Book
Sinead O'Connor - I do not want what I haven't got
Sonny Rollins; Saxaphone Colossus
Steeley Dan - best of
Steve Winwood - Back in the HighLife
Stevie Wonder - In Square Circle; Original Musiquarium
Tine Turner - All The Best
TomPetty - FullMoon Fever; Into the Great Wide Open
Tony Bennett & KD Lang - A wonderful World
Tracy Chapman - Let it rain; Where You Live
U2 - Joshue Tree
Van Morrision - Back On Top; Magic Time
Warren Zevon - SentimentalHygiene
Wayne Henderson, Ronnie Laws & Wilton Felder - Three Kings
The Who - Live at leeds
William Topley - Feasting with panthers; Sea Fever

And a bunch of Classical Stuff.

Len
 

·
a jumped up pantry boy
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
I just heard some Laura Viers this AM on streaming radio (WOXY.com yarble, check it out, most of my musical purchases were instigated by listening to them).

97X... BAM, the future of rock n' roll. I was never so happy as to discover when I moved from Cincy to Denver that WOXY had started a streaming internet station. They haven't played a bad song in 25 years.

I'm not going to argue on the ipod theme, and yea I agree with the campag analogy. they are ultimately the way to go if you have a mac machine anyhow. The m:robe is only 20 gig and I'm rapidly outgrowing it, so when I fill it up, I'll get one of the big ipods.

oh and one more thing... god DAMN Morrissey for being so hot to begin with, and then having the utter gall to age so gracefully to an uber-refined magnitude of mature hotness. I hate him.

you can listen to a couple of songs from the newest laura veirs album (which is very good) here :http://www.nonesuch.com/hi_band/yearofmeteors/
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top