Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone eat anything special before riding? What are your tips/secrets for a good breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner before/after a ride?

Let us hear all of your wacky mixtures or rituals.

I’m not that exciting, just basic…
Before I ride to work, I like to make my self some scrabbled eggs with a piece of toast and drink a glass of water. On occasion, after a long night, I like to drink an energy drink with my breakfast.
Before I leave for work, I like eating a Clif Bar. (Love the Clif Bars) They just started selling these Promax Bars at the local gas station and they are only $1 so I’m trying those out now.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Really like the Cliff bars too.
I however, have to eat them an hour or two before I ride otherwise they don't do well in my stomach.
In another post, someone recommended fig Newtons as a mid ride snack.
I bought some organic fig bars and love em.
I can eat then just before I get on the bike and during with do ill effects.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Last Saturday night before my 10 mile ride home my stomach was filled with single malt scotch and I made record time and it was amazingly fun. I highly recommend this for those of age.
For those not brave enough I've always though peanut butter m&m's are a great mid ride snack, lots of fat and sugar. I think that Coke with an electrolyte tablet is the best energy drink available.

·
Registered
577 Posts
yummy yummy yummy i got love in my tummy and i feel like ... riding a bike.

bagels with peanut butter or honey are good pre ride... cliff bars arent totally nasty during.

and bananas are good anytime!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Before a ride, I just eat food--the same stuff I would have eaten if I wasn't going for a ride.

After I ride, I eat more food. I do like chocolate milk immediately after a long ride if it's available. Fruit and a sandwich will do too.

I save all those bar-things for during a ride. I would never eat a Clif Bar or the like at home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Before ill do like a scoop of peanut butter and a yogurt. Or sometimes if it is a long ride ill do oatmeal and a couple glasses of water.

During I really like a handful of trail mix or cashews.

And afterward I drink two scoops of whey protein with water. Then dinner or some big meal a little while after that.

Edit: And yes those of you who are indeed "of age" a nice helping of Jameson and a Guinness or two never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
COLD milk after a ride is one of my favorites, I love it. Non-Fat is my favorite.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guinness?!

BikeLV702 said:
Edit: And yes those of you who are indeed "of age" a nice helping of Jameson and a Guinness or two never hurt anyone.

No Guinness for me! haha I can't even have a pint at a bar without having to run to the bathroom. It is so heavy on my stomach that about 30 minutes after i drink an a pint If i'm not near a bathroom i'm in trouble! haha Jameson sounds like more of my type.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BoootyHoIe said:
I eat Clam Chowder and 3 slices of Pineapple Pizza. =)

JK. Banana for me is fine.

The first thing I thought after reading this was ‘woah, I didn’t think people were going to be THAT wacky!’ haha

Good one boootyhole! I’m sure your boootyhole thanks you that you don’t eat that before you go ride! hahaha

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I start with an orange, never orange juice. Juice frequently doesn't sit right with me. Then a large bowl of oatmeal with a banana, cinamon and skim milk. A couple of large glasses of water prior to leaving the house.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My typical pre-race/big-ride breakfast is an interesting mixture:
Oatmeal, raisins, cinnamon, peanut butter, misc. fruit, and (here's the kicker) mozarella cheese.
Yup. When the mozarella cheese melts into the oatmeal/peanut butter mixture it adds a hint of salty taste and some good protein and fat.
If I'm racing, I make sure I have this in my tummy 2-4 hours before the event.:thumbsup:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Tonight, I had a big plate of spaghetti and garlic bread, 45 minutes before our usual Tuesday night hammer fest. Probably wasn't a good idea. At 27, I felt a little burpy. At 28, I had to back off, or eat again after I got home.
Usually, I like to ride hard with an empty stomach.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I scarf down a couple pounds of pasta and bacon the night before any sort of big ride. Otherwise, the night before my regular commute rides I just eat whatever I want (I don’t eat fast food nor do I eat processed food) and wash it down with lots of Belgian Ale. Yes, I get loaded on fine Belgian Ale the night before I make my morning sprint to work.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Nothing.

I know a lot of people here slag on Hammer Nutrition, but I have found them to be spot-on when it comes to fueling. I used to eat a bagel, or oatmeal, or stuff like that. I never felt good after eating, but I was too afraid of bonking right away if I didn't.

Then I read this: http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/H...NGTIPS&OMI=&AMI=&RETURN_TEXT=Performance Tips

Two years ago, I started the Triple Bypass in Colorado for the first time without eating. The difference was amazing. I felt good right off the bat, and I haven't regretted the choice since.

So that's what I have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.