Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plain water? Gatorade? 50/50 mix? Gin and tonic?

I've always carried just plain water, but yesterday I tried a 50/50 mix of Vitamin Water (like Gatorade) and water, and it tasted disgusting. And the longer into my ride, the worse it tasted. It also has the disadvantage that you can't (or at least don't want to) pour some on your head to cool off.

·
9,790 Posts
Mold.

·
9,790 Posts
viciouscycle said:
Damn, you beat me to it :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
:D

I'm mean like that...

·
Registered
599 Posts
I used do a mix of 70/30 water/gator, it wasn't bad, but now I stick w/ plain ole' water.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
I almost always carry two bottles. Some rides, there's plain water in both. Other rides, there's plain water in one and half-strength Gatorade (mixed from powder) in the other. No particular pattern or logic for why I use one system versus the other.

When Gatorade is in one bottle, I drink it first since it tastes better when it's colder and fresher.

·
LCI #1853
134 Posts
Two bottles -- one plain water, the other is sports drink... for the past several motnhs that's been water with a Nuun or CamelBack Elixir tablet added.

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
Same here. I carry two bottle for anything over 15 miles. Usually it's just water. If it's really hot out or I'm going for an extended ride (50+ miles for me, YMMV) I may use the recipe in my signature line for one of the bottles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I carry water on both especially on hot days. made the mistake once of pouring some on my head while riding and it was the Gatorade one, so I was now all sticky and smelled bad at the end and also had some nice shiny hair so at least I looked good after :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For starters, this is my 1000th post.

One water bottle has water and the other Poweraide Zero. I usually freeze them overnight, but on hot days, barely any advantage because by mile 10 it's melted and slightly cold. I think I ride so fast that the wind just heats them up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Usually water and a few ice cubes..... Though my early moring rides these days are starting to "refrigerate" my water pretty efficiently, so the last few days I've gone sans ice..

I like gatorade on longer rides just because it tastes better/aids in the minotiny of staying hydrated, but even at a 50/50 mix it just tends to be too sweet for me. I feel like it coats my mouth and ends up making me thirstier in the long run. :confused5:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Depends on length but at least one bottle with only water and the 2nd will be water or gatorade, depending on mileage. I sweat like a champ so I need plenty of liquids. I've been testing my own gels as well as homeade Lara bars for cals and just water in both bottles. We'll see.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Almost always water. I will always carry around my Visa so should I stop at a store I can pick up something with some calories. But primarily, I stick with 2 water bottles on rides up to 120km.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
1 water
1 water with Nuun

·
Registered
335 Posts
i flavor my water with crystal light drink mix. works for me--more likely to keep drinking if it's flavored.
and i hate drinking calories, so no Gatorade etc. for me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts