Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It's in the game!
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Its DeadWheeling

You give the guys behind you a "dead wheel" to follow while your teamates upfront attack. It's not a waste of time, especially when they get caught napping back there. Just another way to put some "tired" into the others legs before the fireworks go off. Worse case scenerio, it pisses them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
dagger said:
You give the guys behind you a "dead wheel" to follow while your teamates upfront attack. It's not a waste of time, especially when they get caught napping back there. Just another way to put some "tired" into the others legs before the fireworks go off. Worse case scenerio, it pisses them off.

Generally its a waste of time anyone who is really racing will simply go around the moment you start to open a gap. Now if you talking about not reacting to change in pace when a teammate attacks in a break that is slighty different but the whole taking someone off that back thing dosen't really work that well esp. if you are without teammates in a break what your really risking doing is taking yourself out of the break.

The Best is when guys try and do this only to realize you won't close the gap for them and then they get to tow you back up to the group. Or waiting to gap to gets really big and then jumping across and driving the break leaving the gap opener off the back, I have done both of those, its pretty funny to watch people when the realize their "im taking this guy off the back" move has turned into "Im taking myself out of the break, oh no" move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,555 Posts
wheezer said:
Let a gap open up in a break to make wheelsuckers close it up and do some work? There's a term for it and I can't remember.
Agree with 32 cross. Assuming you've done your fair share of the work during the race and the wheelsucker, by definition, hasn't done a lick of it, you opening up a gap most likely means you're off the back watching the wheelsucker ride away from you. Sure you're making the wheelsucker work, but at a very high price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wim said:
Agree with 32 cross. Assuming you've done your fair share of the work during the race and the wheelsucker, by definition, hasn't done a lick of it, you opening up a gap most likely means you're off the back watching the wheelsucker ride away from you. Sure you're making the wheelsucker work, but at a very high price.
I concede the point but in some cases, I'd rather take a chance and show there are consequences to not working in a break than let someone win who didn't work for it. For that matter, I'd rather let someone go off the front who deserved it than tow someone to the line who didn't. That said, it was "dead wheeling" that I was thinking. Thanks for the refresher course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,555 Posts
wheezer said:
I'd rather take a chance and show there are consequences to not working in a break than let someone win who didn't work for it.
Believe me, I understand that sentiment well. Just for laughs one day, pretend you have a problem of some sort and start opening a very small gap. When the wheelsucker comes around in a panic, close the gap. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
wheezer said:
I concede the point but in some cases, I'd rather take a chance and show there are consequences to not working in a break than let someone win who didn't work for it. For that matter, I'd rather let someone go off the front who deserved it than tow someone to the line who didn't. That said, it was "dead wheeling" that I was thinking. Thanks for the refresher course.

Your kinda missing the point, the point is for you to win not help someone other than a teammate to win. taking yourself out of the break to prove a point will do nothing. Even if you did manage to take me off the back once I would either jump around you leaving behind or just come around you before the gap was very large the next time. What you should be doing is hoping that soemone else takes the tack your going on and fixates on the guy sitting on so you can ride away and win while the mess around withe each other. In one break I was in a guy took it upon him self th take a wheel sucker off the back the rest of just drove it so that neither one could get back on there by getting rid of both of em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
32and3cross said:
Your kinda missing the point, the point is for you to win not help someone other than a teammate to win. taking yourself out of the break to prove a point will do nothing. Even if you did manage to take me off the back once I would either jump around you leaving behind or just come around you before the gap was very large the next time. What you should be doing is hoping that soemone else takes the tack your going on and fixates on the guy sitting on so you can ride away and win while the mess around withe each other. In one break I was in a guy took it upon him self th take a wheel sucker off the back the rest of just drove it so that neither one could get back on there by getting rid of both of em.
I find that if you make the wheel sucker work often then they lose their snap. Most wheel suckers are sitting on so they can sprint at the finish. If they are made to continually sprint to close a gap then they either lose their snap or work out it may be a good idea to work with the group. A much better idea is to ride the wheel sucker into wind and make them work out in the wind.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
I did this in my race on Sunday. I covered several attacks and did a lion's share of pulling while another gal was sitting on my wheel & refusing to take even a short pull. Knowing that she was plenty strong enough to bridge a sizable gap, I too a chance- next attack from another rider, I did nothing. She started yelling at me to cover the break and I laughed at her. She eventually covered it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I did this in my race on Sunday. I covered several attacks and did a lion's share of pulling while another gal was sitting on my wheel & refusing to take even a short pull. Knowing that she was plenty strong enough to bridge a sizable gap, I too a chance- next attack from another rider, I did nothing. She started yelling at me to cover the break and I laughed at her. She eventually covered it.
This is how you deal with a rider sitting in - opening a gap would have done nothing really but refusing to react to an attack is a perfect way of making someone work - you still taking a risk that you might end up out of the move as well but clearly in this case the correct read was that the person sitting on was strong enough to work.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
32and3cross said:
This is how you deal with a rider sitting in - opening a gap would have done nothing really but refusing to react to an attack is a perfect way of making someone work - you still taking a risk that you might end up out of the move as well but clearly in this case the correct read was that the person sitting on was strong enough to work.
As a side note, she still ended up beating me by less than a wheel :mad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Andrea138 said:
As a side note, she still ended up beating me by less than a wheel :mad2:
Yeah but it sounds like you did all the right stuff. Sometimes the person sitting on stills wins I have been on both sides of that I have sat on and sprinted (was trying to defend a teammates GC lead) and I have had people sit on me and beat me even tho I tried to get em to either work or attack em - but thats racing.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top