Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to sell my bike, never really enjoyed road biking much, so I'm getting into riding four wheelers, and I've always mountain biked alot so I'm going to race more. Anyway, it's a 2005 Felt F55, only has like 650 miles on it. Lots of Dura-Ace stuff, including the 10-speed rear setup. Retailed for $2,069. Here are the details:

http://www.feltracing.com/05/2005_bikes/2005_f55.html

Nothing wrong with it at all. I just don't like the roadie scene much, I'd simply rather be in the woods, and my knee is injured and the spinning from this bike flexes it just past the threshold where it hurts so I can't even ride it right now anyway. The only modifications I've ever done to it is add an Astrale computer, which I will probably keep, and currently it has eggbeaters on there which I will also probably keep, I had to replace one tube, and it has a Thomson Elite straight post because it didn't fit me perfectly with the factory setback post, but I still have the original one. Anyway, if somebody wants to shoot me an offer, that's great, but otherwise I'm trying to figure out what the market looks like for these things. I think $1,600 is fair for both parties but figured I'd ask you guys.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
In your first post, you speak negatively about the roadie scene (in a roadbikereview.com forum) and are trying to sell something.

Moreon...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to speak negatively, I respect you guys, I just don't enjoy it, just trying to explain why I'm trying to sell a Dura-Ace level bike that only has 650 miles on it. Otherwise, somebody would have had to ask, then I would have had to explain anyway because somebody would think that there's something wrong with it, when it's not, it's perfect. So there... it's simply not my thing, nothing negative at all. I do enjoy it somewhat but cannot justify the time and money involved, I'd simply rather be in the woods, I don't see anything wrong with that. If there IS something majorly wrong with that, then maybe that's why I'm getting out.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
handsomerob said:
In your first post, you speak negatively about the roadie scene (in a roadbikereview.com forum) and are trying to sell something.

Moreon...
I must have missed the part where he spoke negatively about the 'roadie scene.' He only mentions that he bought a nice bike, didn't like it as much as other hobbies and is now selling it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bulldozer said:
I must have missed the part where he spoke negatively about the 'roadie scene.' He only mentions that he bought a nice bike, didn't like it as much as other hobbies and is now selling it.
Right on 'bro, that's all I was trying to do. :) As for eBay, sure I know how to search there, but there's currently none of these bikes listed. Last week there was only one and I did follow it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Felt-F55_W...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just realized that this was the same one that showed up in the completed items search posted above. Anyway, it went for $1,275 but it has 4 times the mileage as mine, that guy didn't have any feedback, and his pictures were tiny. I had also previously checked the classifieds, the only F55 listed was already sold, and he erased the price, but I did email him, waiting on a response. Obviously google was my next step but I mostly got a bunch of junk. So anyway, here I am, just looking for opinions, any POSITIVE feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Put it on EBAY with a reserve

list your bike on auction on ebay.com
start it at $10
put in a reserve [the least you are willing to take]

You will find the "TRUE" value of it quickly

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
I'd say that the price you had in mind is pretty close. I'd be inclined (if I were in the market to buy one) to offer $1500 and think that I had gotten a good deal in the proces.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Personally, I don't like reserves on eBay. I won't bid on anything with one, either, unless I know exactly what it is.

I think it's good that you say why you want to sell, otherwise people will wonder what's up with a nearly unused high-end bike at a good deal.

The only thing with the '05 Felt 55 is -- correct me if I'm wrong -- it was one of those "budget dura-ace" bikes that had generic brakes and a bargain basement wheelset, as well as a truvativ crank. Since nice brakes are expensive and wheelsets are a big part of what people think of when they consider a bike's "value," that does reduce its sale value some.

That said, it's still a nice bike. I think someone who otherwise dind't have access to discounts and pro deals would be happy to have it for $1500 or so.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Got my F55 brand new for around 1800.00. If I were shopping around I'd say you're looking at around 1400.00 off of ebay for it although you may get some zealous bidders that would push it up further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Argentius said:
The only thing with the '05 Felt 55 is -- correct me if I'm wrong -- it was one of those "budget dura-ace" bikes that had generic brakes and a bargain basement wheelset, as well as a truvativ crank. Since nice brakes are expensive and wheelsets are a big part of what people think of when they consider a bike's "value," that does reduce its sale value some.
It did have some off-name brakes but the brake levers and shifter combo was still Dura-Ace. As for the wheels, they were Velo-Max, I thought those were fairly nice, not top end, but I thought they were far from bargain-basement. The crankset was FSA with carbon cranks. It wasn't the integrated style, it has a separate bottom bracket.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
yeah, dura-ace STI levers are expensive -- 300-something on eBay; but 7800 brakes are also like $200, and no-namers like $25. Just a factor.

Velomax wheels -- well, they're not junk. But they're not worth what Ksyrium Elites are.

There's a difference between "how useful is it" and "how much would someone pay for it," is all I'm saying.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that you'll get $1600 for it unless you have an uninformed seller.

I'm not saying it isn't a fair number, but used road bike prices are notoriously soft, even for something as new and well-equipped as your bike. My guess is that you'll be lucky to get $1400.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
jtolleson said:
Hate to burst your bubble but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that you'll get $1600 for it unless you have an uninformed seller.

I'm not saying it isn't a fair number, but used road bike prices are notoriously soft, even for something as new and well-equipped as your bike. My guess is that you'll be lucky to get $1400.
That would be my guess too. Maybe even less if you don't have much eBay history

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
MY opinion is worth every penny you are paying for it.

I think even $1400 is pushing the ceiling. Felt are very good priced bikes new but they don't seem to hold value very well. Maybe $1400 with the pedals, computer and shipped.

Also you thinking is a little backwards. You can expect to get more on ebay than you would locally, not less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I figured $1,600 was pushing it for eBay but maybe not for more local folks who aren't set up with a discount at a bike shop. $1,400 would be great. Nothing's going to hurt my feelings, I just want to know that I'm getting what it's worth.

·
Registered
896 Posts
size matters

you don't say what size it is. if it is a "common size" like 56, there will be more demand and likely more bidding, and a higher price. if it is a 47, there will likely be less demand. trouble is that logicaly the bike might have a higher value, but if at the time you go to sell it on ebay, nobody is really looking for this bike, demand will set the price lower. even if you paid 2k, if someone else can find the bike for sale at a retailer for 1800, then the retail price is 1800, not 2k. I personally would not buy used bike over the internet to save 10%(eg 1600). the savings would need to be 30% ++. just my opinion

Lifelover said:
MY opinion is worth every penny you are paying for it.

I think even $1400 is pushing the ceiling. Felt are very good priced bikes new but they don't seem to hold value very well. Maybe $1400 with the pedals, computer and shipped.

Also you thinking is a little backwards. You can expect to get more on ebay than you would locally, not less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, nevermind, I guess it is encrypted, they've got multiple forms in that page source, the first one isn't encrypted but I guess the credit card stuff is.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Sell it in april or early may on eBay when people are thinking of the up coming season. Set a reserve but give a hint as to what it is or be willing to tell a potential buyer what it is if they send you an e-mail. Reserves serve two purposes, one is to get you the minimun price another is to offer lowest ad listing fee. any penny saved is a penny in your pocket. if you use a reserve set your opening bid below $10 to inccur the lowest possible listing fee. Also at your price range shoot at least 4 well lit, focused photographs. you could also list here (RBR) in the classifieds, first and on cyclingforum.com . Do a general search here on selling on eBay. emphasize that it is Dura ace 10 speed and whatever easton/velomax wheelset it is. if they're above vista's and have a low weight you'll do fine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts