Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding a little over a year ago at the ripe age of 63. Primary goals: Lose weight, improve overall conditioning, and of course for fun.

When I started riding, I weighed 180 pounds (small, 5’6” frame) and it didn’t take long to take off 15 pounds – taking me to 165. It is from that point to my ultimate goal weight of 150 pounds where difficulty has set in. I did get to 155, then there was the holiday season with well intention friends shoving various deserts at me.

Since then, I have resumed my “normal” ride routine – rides range from 30 to 45 with an occasional 60 thrown in – at average speeds of from 14.4 to 15.0. Rides are on the average 3 per week. What has not resumed is weight loss. I am stuck on 159 to 163.

So that’s my first question. Assuming that I watch my caloric intake, why would I not lose even a little?

Second – not quite on point, but one of interest to me. Taking into account my age, and the fact that I rode a large metal desk for 30 years, are my riding distances and average mph about where I should be? I use a heart rate monitor and find it very difficult to get up to the minimum training range. The reason for this is not that my heart is in such great condition – but my legs tend to give out before I can get into mid training range.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Some issues

First, you will be interested to know that each of us has a "body weight setpoint" that is a result of genetics, lifestyle, and a bunch of biochemistry. Your body will resist dropping below that number by a number of strategies, and so it takes extra willpower on your part to deal with the constant hunger that may result from trying to drop the extra weight. Also, as you become a more proficient cyclist, you do become more efficient at delivering power to the rear wheel, and so need to go faster to burn the same number of calories. Your speeds are relatively low if you are riding on the flats, but could be quite impressive if your rides are very hilly. The fact that you feel that your legs give out before you can reach your target HR suggests that you are pushing too big a gear, resulting in low pedaling cadence.

So, work on getting up to at least 80 rpm (90-100 is better) and try to up your speed by doing some 10-20 minute fast segments on a couple of rides per week - you should be going nearly as fast as you can for those intervals, and then recovering at an easier pace for 5-10 minutes. Additional weight loss will only come from eating less. General strategies are to eat more, smaller meals and to go to bed a little hungry every night. The latter typically suggests eating a light evening meal several hours before bed time.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
2 out of 3 isn't bad.

bboseley said:
I started riding a little over a year ago at the ripe age of 63. Primary goals: Lose weight, improve overall conditioning, and of course for fun.
So the real question is; are we having fun now?

What is so special about any given weight anyway? If you have improved your overall conditioning and are having fun that really is what matters.

True as KI says there are ways to lose more weight but they really have nothing to do with your cycling. You just have to decide if you really want to reach that lower weight. Me, I'd say don't worry about it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
MB1 said:
So the real question is; are we having fun now?

What is so special about any given weight anyway? If you have improved your overall conditioning and are having fun that really is what matters.

True as KI says there are ways to lose more weight but they really have nothing to do with your cycling. You just have to decide if you really want to reach that lower weight. Me, I'd say don't worry about it.
I agree with all of the above completely. The main thing is to have fun. Don't worry about the scale so much. Be more concerned with how you feel. Feel good at 160? All right then. Would your life change in any significant way if you weighed 5# less?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts