Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a mini pump yesterday thinking I'd give it a go. It was the smallest one in the store, and noticeably lighter than my CO2 unit (especially when you add two or three cartrages). The box for the pump said "easily inflates to 110psi." The max advertised was 144psi -- 10 bars. Yea, right.

I decided to try it at home last night. Good thing. "Easy" pumping got me to 40psi. After struggling for a long time I could only get to around 65psi. Enough to get home, but hardly adequate. It got so hard to pump, and I was forcing so much, that I actually broke the stem off the tube.

So I put in a new tube and gave that one a shot of CO2. I'm gonna return the pump today. No wonder the CO2 systems are so popular.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Minis ALL suck...

I'm going to be the last man in America still using a Zefal HpX, I think. I had mine for 15 or 20 years, and it still worked fine until I backed the car over it last year. I bought a new one to replace it.
There may be a good mini-pump, but I've never found it, and I bought four or five before I gave up. FWIW, I fret about CO2, too. The ones I've tried won't pump my big (32 or 35mm tires) up past about 75 psi, so I have to carry a pump anyway to top them off, and I'm always worried I'll have one more flat than I have cartridges.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Emergencies only

Is what I use mine for. I fix the flat and pump in enough air to get home. Any more than that and I break stem off and then have BIG problems. I had problems breaking stems with my old frame pump also.

There are a couple of brands of frame and mini pumps that have hoses to attach the pump to the nozzle. I had a frame pump years ago with a hose and could get good pressures without ever breaking a stem.

Next pump I get will be a frame pump with hose. I would like to get a nice solid metal one that works on both tires and dogs.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
bimini said:
Is what I use mine for. I fix the flat and pump in enough air to get home. Any more than that and I break stem off and then have BIG problems. I had problems breaking stems with my old frame pump also.

There are a couple of brands of frame and mini pumps that have hoses to attach the pump to the nozzle. I had a frame pump years ago with a hose and could get good pressures without ever breaking a stem.

Next pump I get will be a frame pump with hose. I would like to get a nice solid metal one that works on both tires and dogs.

Well here is my answer to this situation. To avoid breaking off the stem, you need to stabilize the pump head against something hard like a guardrail or curb. Then I pump the tire up with the mini until the tire is seated (blackburn airstik, parts available). Then I break out the CO2 and finish the job. Neither product alone for me is enough to do the job of getting my tire to a 110-120psi range. The airstik might do it but I won't spend that much time pumping the tire.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You can't cheat on the laws of physics.

For a road bike you need a long skinny pump. If your pump has a cross section of 1 square inch, that means you have to be able to bench 100 pounds with one hand to get to 100 psi. The trouble with minis is, even if they have a small cross section, you have to do too many reps to move the volume of air necessary to get your whole tire to 100 psi. I'm always amused when I read the specs. that say such and such a frame pump is good for 140 psi. That only works if you are still strong enough to push it those last few strokes after four of five minutes of steady pumping.

I've got a couple of HPXs, but the last road flat I had I reinflated with 15 grams of CO2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.