Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since im fairly new to the road game i fig. i woudl ask.

it looks like "all" of them have crank style power meters?

some sort of garmin/screen.

since im new i guess i didnt think they would need the gps? with all the support cars etc. letting them know how far? or is that the screen that just tells them hear rate, watts, etc?

or both?

thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah, you don't use the garmin as a gps navigator like in a car (you can but not what they are usually using it for). It is mainly for monitoring your power output, heart rate, speed, etc, because they know almost exactly what they are capable of and how much they should exert at a given time from their extensive training.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
One important function of these devices is to record power, HR, and distance as functions of time for later upload and analysis.

During a stage, it is common for riders to tape a list of important points on their stem or top tube, things like major climbs, intermediate sprints, KOMs, feed zones, hazards or other course peculiarities and their distances. They use the distance displayed by their computer to know where they are with respect to these, even though course almost always has signs at fixed distances like 1km, 500m etc, before them.

Under some circumstances, it's useful for the rider to know their current power and HR. This is common for pacing themselves in TTs or on some long climbs.

Usually it's really obvious where the course is so nav is not needed.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Here's Cannondale team's ride. Not sure about the electronics
And people said it would go to hell when it was bought by that Canadian stroller manufacturer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.