Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard this term a few times before, and always wondered exactly what it meant.

A recent quote in the new Velo News by Bobby Julich from the Giro reminded me I needed to ask.

"I prefer the tour. Here it's just a bunch of Italian guys - obviously very talented guys - quacking in the front just trying to prove that they are the best Italian guy."

So...?

· I drank what?
3,240 Posts
I've understood it to mean this

It’s when you are racing and people are aggressively jockeying for position which invariably mean bumping into one another.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the term quacking

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Can you imagine the mass chaos and carnage that quacking would cause in a Cat4 pack?!

Thank doG I race masters more often than not!

M

· your god hates me
1,616 Posts
A duck walks into a bar. He approaches the bartender and asks,"Got any quackers?"
The bartender says,"No, we don't have any quackers".

The next day, the duck walks into the bar again.
"Got any quackers?" he says.
"No," says the bartender, "And if you ask me again, I'll get a hammer and some nails and nail your beak to the wall!"

On the third day, the duck walks into the bar again.
"Got a hammer? says the duck.
"No" says the bartender.
"Got any nails?" says the duck.
"No" says the bartender.
The duck grins."Got any quackers?"

· go up
653 Posts
Back in the late '70s / early '80's quacking was a term you used, in one form or another, to reference qualudes. "I'm quacking right nice now, maybe I better have another beer before I drive home."

· Registered
518 Posts
The way I've heard it defined (Paul Sherwen in the FCP 2000 Liege-Bastogne-Liege video), quacking is when the pack makes a quick shift to the left or right to avoid a curb, pothole, or other obstacle. If you're following close to the guy in front of you, with wheels overlapping, a quack can result in a toutch of wheels and maybe a crash. He seemed to indicate that it was a phenomenon unigue to Belgian racing, and something a Belgian newbie needed to learn to avoid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.