Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a bicycle "cheering squad" on 6/24 6:00 PM at 2700 Lighthouse Point East (2700 block of Boston Street), Suite 310, in the Canton area of southeast Baltimore City. (arriving a bit late will probably be ok.)

We are 8 years into the State's 20 year master plan to make Maryland the best state for bicycling and walking. How are we doing in planning and building comfortable bike routes to work, shopping centers or even make biking to a trail a pleasant experience?

What is the State's policy in planning and funding extra road width to comfortable accommodate cyclists using the best engineering practices? What is the State's policy in following federal guide lines in utilizing Federal Funding to address the "needs" of bicyclists? Is the state listening to the needs and concerns of bicyclists?

What I have uncovered is truly shocking and has to change! This is a rare opportunity to address the State's implementation of Federal policies and dispersement of Federal Transportation Funds.

Please try and come if you can.

-=Barry=-

More info:
http://www.baltimorespokes.org/article.php?story=20080606211851846

· Registered
12,593 Posts
We already tried dealing with this in Annapolis this past spring. Maryland is actually terrible about accomodating cyclists. I did a lot of riding today in Howard County and for the most part the roads didn't have a shoulder to ride on. Granted, there weren't a lot of cars, but when there were, it was rather tough for them to pass me. Examples are Mink Hollow Road, a lot of Ten Oaks Road, Brighton Dam Road, and there are others that I do not know the name of.

Wish I had read this earlier than 8:00 on 6/24. Hope everything went well up in Baltimore. Problem with asking government to address this stuff now is that our government is probably in the red, so nothing new is going to get done. Look at some of the roads in Montgomery County. They are terrible. New Hampshire Avenue from 29 to Randolph Road is a complete mess for cars. If that isn't getting fixed, don't expect bike trails to be built any time soon.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comments can still be submitted (till July 9th) to [email protected]

We need to make a point that the roads you mentioned and others like them are not part of any long range bicycle transportation plan. Funding that should be available (per Federal SAFETEA-LU legislation) to help make roads like these bike friendly are being denned to the localities by MDOT because in functionality MDOT has adopted policies (contrary to Federal guidelines) that make using any Federal Funding for on road bike projects a near impossibility. And without the funding there can be no functional long range plan.

Long range bike/ped planning is more then just trails and the state needs to start moving in that direction. Keep in mind MDOT has reported to the state legislature that it is 100% complete in accommodating bicyclists on all state roads (per MDOT's last attainment report on it's 20 year bike and pedestrian access plan.)

· Registered
34 Posts
Cycling is truly NO priority in Md. I am lucky as I live near the Airport trail and ride alot of the roads which surround it. The drivers I encounter are very good about cyclists. Until gas becomes 7-8 dollars a gallon and pepole can't afford to drive to work anymore this will this remain a dark issue. Md is to busy building behemoth highways like the project out at 695 and 95 near White Marsh. They just don't get it the days of cars are dwindling. Give me the fast lane on 83 N/S and the beltway and I can get to work on my bike. Meanwhile lets build more roads and not worry about the bikes, cars are here forever is the mentality in Annapolis.

Ekh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.