Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like many of you, I am in love with my road bike. A Trek Madone Discovery Channel Team bike that I bought new in 2006. Its fast, it climbs, and is just an all around performance bike, the problem is ... its old! Componants are failing or looking rough, and I am having trouble finding replacements parts. If I do, they are generally used but in good condition but still not cheap.

So I ask everyone on this forum. What should i get next? What is out there that is comparable to this bike? Not too bulky, light, fast, smooth, and won't break the bank.

I like to climb, ride fast in groups, and do long rides. I am also a triathlete, that races occasionally, so aerodynamics is a plus.

any suggestions?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,206 Posts
Trek Emonda? Though don't get too hung up on one brand. Test ride different bikes and see what you like.

That being said, supply is very short right now. 2022 will hopefully be a better year to buy a bike as supply catches up with semand.

Reactions: jmpohl74

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
In a way, the Emonda (and Madone) are not the same bike as what you had, although they are the successors. Much different frame buildup, I think yours had a tube joined to each shell (head tube, BB shell seat cluster) where now some of those sections are frabricated as single pieces. You have an aluminum steerer, rim brakes, fewer cogs on back. (None of that is bad, it's just outdated). Their OCLV has improved big time over the years. None of this means your old bike is no good, but things have come a long way in 15 years. Just a new frame and fork will probably drop two pounds.

Although the Madone is their aero bike, both the Madone and Emonda will have aero improvements over your ride.

Trouble is, you may not get those until 2022. And as you go up models, you can break the bank. If you're looking at a Trek (or whichever brand you want), get a dealer list and be prepared to call a lot of shops in a wide area

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trek Emonda? Though don't get too hung up on one brand. Test ride different bikes and see what you like.

That being said, supply is very short right now. 2022 will hopefully be a better year to buy a bike as supply catches up with semand.
I have been thinking Emonda as well or the Madone, but looking at Specialized as well. And yes, I need to find and demo some bikes. Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a way, the Emonda (and Madone) are not the same bike as what you had, although they are the successors. Much different frame buildup, I think yours had a tube joined to each shell (head tube, BB shell seat cluster) where now some of those sections are frabricated as single pieces. You have an aluminum steerer, rim brakes, fewer cogs on back. (None of that is bad, it's just outdated). Their OCLV has improved big time over the years. None of this means your old bike is no good, but things have come a long way in 15 years. Just a new frame and fork will probably drop two pounds.

Although the Madone is their aero bike, both the Madone and Emonda will have aero improvements over your ride.

Trouble is, you may not get those until 2022. And as you go up models, you can break the bank. If you're looking at a Trek (or whichever brand you want), get a dealer list and be prepared to call a lot of shops in a wide area
OMG has tech changed and this being my third bike, my expectations and requirements are a bit higher too. So lots to figure out and demo. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I could find a silver groupset, then that would be a good option. Great suggestion!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know who makes silver components these days? I would even take a model or two back, if I can get them new.

Running full Ultegra 6700 set right now, so something equivalent would be great. Not sure how black or dark gray would look on that frame. I know I am being picky on esthetics, but it would be nice to keep the original look of the bike.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,206 Posts
Totally agree , if you like the bike just upgrade the components .
I would agree here. That OCLV frame is back when they were made in Wisconsin and is better than the Trek frames made today.

Reactions: Starfire99

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
If you are putting miles on your bike, an upgrade can be fun! I’d do a full bike upgrade. Don’t limit yourself to Trek, although they make quality frames... Using your bikes geometry chart, assuming you are matched/attuned and comfortable, and check some similar geos? Hang on to this bike, it’s nice.

Decide what you want and check out the options... Think for next season, now is overpriced anyway. That’ll give you plenty of time. If you have geo, groupo or other questions, come here and ask. This forum is a fantastic resource for exactly where you are at!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are putting miles on your bike, an upgrade can be fun! I’d do a full bike upgrade. Don’t limit yourself to Trek, although they make quality frames... Using your bikes geometry chart, assuming you are matched/attuned and comfortable, and check some similar geos? Hang on to this bike, it’s nice.

Decide what you want and check out the options... Think for next season, now is overpriced anyway. That’ll give you plenty of time. If you have geo, groupo or other questions, come here and ask. This forum is a fantastic resource for exactly where you are at!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This forum is great! Lots of great suggestions from everyone. And yes, I want to hold on to this bike for my son; hopefully he will want to ride one day. Looking to buy in a year or so, but want to get ideas from this forum to start demoing some bikes.

Thanks ya'll

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
Emonda SLR is the modern version of that bike.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
It's been fifteen long years. Get a new bike. You fkn deserve it. Life is short. Frame tech has come a long way since then.
The upturned stem and spacers make me think you'd benefit from a non thoroughbred race frame. Get yourself a carbon fast endurance bike, something like a Canyon Endurace on 28mm tires.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
It's been fifteen long years. Get a new bike. You fkn deserve it. Life is short. Frame tech has come a long way since then.
The upturned stem and spacers make me think you'd benefit from a non thoroughbred race frame. Get yourself a carbon fast endurance bike, something like a Canyon Endurace on 28mm tires.
I so agree! You don’t need to go crazy! But doing a build is something that’ll really pay off in your understanding of the components that make a frame a bike. Establish your budget and set time aside to do your homework. I think test rides are total BS but in fairness, I’m totally in the minority... Let how you ride dictate your build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm , not so sure that I agree . I have a 2012 Litespeed with Shimano 7900 groupset and I love the way this bike rides and handles . In the last 4 years I have gone thru a few frames and traded them off . Currently still have the Litespeed and a new Time Fluidity with Shimano 9100 it's a toss up on which one I ride .

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
Great idea, fixing up the old bike and looking for a current state of the art rig. Can't believe polished aluminum parts are no longer available. Campy always had silver components, plenty available aftermarket, NOS. I've found components that fit two '80s standard steel bikes, headsets, bottom brackets, seat posts, chains and freewheels, no problems. I just have to settle on what fits and works satisfactorily, frequently an upgrade of the item being replaced.

Adapt components to the way you or your son will ride, I'd guess how you rode that bike back in the day, full-on aggressive. Lance rode his OCLV Trek for at least one more season because he thought it rode better than the next model Trek provided.

Great frames take their place in history, not better or worse than today's tech. They just make their own statements on what a great bike is all about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 5.9 Madone, 7800 Dura Ace, frame with fork at 4 lbs and change, there are "different" bikes on the market, but with all the bottom bracket issues since, and hastily built monocoque structures with voids and shabby workmanship, I have no thoughts of selling the Madone. That being said, 25mm is max for tire size, DA 10sp cassette is 28 tooth max, and 7800 crank is 130mm BCD, limited to 38 teeth. I bought a TCX Giant with 6800 Ultegra, 46-36 crank, 12-30 cassette and run 32mm rubber and I absolutely love the comfort, the rigidity, handling, and don't miss the Madone unless the road is flat and smooth. I would buy another Trek as my warranty experiences with them has been excellent, but the Giant fell into my hands for $1100 bucks and I am extremely happy with it.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Campagnolo Potenza comes in a polished finish.

Unfortunately, bike parts are about as hard as bikes are to find these days. My wife ordered a custom Tommasini X-Fire frame that's been sitting up in the shop in PA waiting for Dura Ace 12-speed to come out. Its been sitting there for almost a year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts