Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Dinotte 300R tail light and I loved it, but the design of the bracket allows the light to not be secure on the bike. (When I was riding home from work on Tuesday it flew off my bike and I lost the $200 light!). I now need a new tail light.

As I begin my research, I am wondering what tail light is the brightest one out there? I commute in very early morning with total darkness. Price is not an issue, I want the BRIGHTEST light on the market. Light weight is good too. Rechargeable is preferred.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I had a Dinotte 300R tail light and I loved it, but the design of the bracket allows the light to not be secure on the bike. (When I was riding home from work on Tuesday it flew off my bike and I lost the $200 light!). I now need a new tail light.

As I begin my research, I am wondering what tail light is the brightest one out there? I commute in very early morning with total darkness. Price is not an issue, I want the BRIGHTEST light on the market. Light weight is good too. Rechargeable is preferred.

Thanks!
for tail light the goal is to be seen by cars. It doesn't have to be super-bright - in fact, if you ride in complete darkness, the contrast between your light and complete darkness will make you fairly visible already.
I like BikePlanet Superflash.
Light PB Rear Super Flash Blinky.5w2led Black 3034-1

There are brighter ones out there, but I think this is plenty bright for almost all situations, and going too bright may be blinding/distracting for drivers, you may not want that.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Check out the Light & Motion Vis 360. It's a helmet mounted head and tail-light system. The headlight is modest in power (110 lumens) but the tail light is supposed to be among the brightest.

LIGHT & MOTION || VIS 360

If you just want a tail-light, L&M also makes a Vis 180 model

LIGHT & MOTION || VIS 180

UPDATE - I picked up a Vis 360 and was really disappointed by the light output. In a side-by-side comparison, it appeared no brighter and maybe even less than a PB Superflash, and it doesn't even compare with my Dinotte 140. The battery run times were also disappointing, much less than advertised. Needless to say, I returned the Vis 360.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Right now I am commuting with 2 flashers in the back: the planet bike superflash at wheel level (hooked to my bike rack), an older blackburn flasher attached to my commuting Ergon bag. And I am awaiting delivery of the Light and moriong 360. Kind of overkill 3 lights for the back, however, the helmet mounted light is a welcomed addition to the handle bar light, so I figure why not.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Apologies, I forgot the punch-line of the post above, and that was that there is some data that shows that having at least two light sources at different heights helps with visibility as rather than having a single brighter light source. HTH

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
400r

I have a 140R, a 300R, and a 400R. The 140 uses the rubber bandy things, the 300 the slip on mount, and the 400 a solid bolt on. I think any of them is sufficient, but the 400R is blindingly bright, and completely secure. Just uses an external battery, which I like on a commuter.

I've been using the 300R since it came out, and never had a problem. I suspect it just was not pushed on all the way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Apologies, I forgot the punch-line of the post above, and that was that there is some data that shows that having at least two light sources at different heights helps with visibility as rather than having a single brighter light source. HTH
...and, from what I've heard, having one flashing and one solid also helps. Supposedly the flashing one is more effective from a safety standpoint in the higher position.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't know about the lumen output, but I can't imagine you could need anything brighter than the Magicshine. Enough to hurt my eyes from close range. I'm not crazy about the mode switch being twisting the outer ring (I'd rather have an actual push-button), but other than that, it seems to work great. Uses the same battery as my Magicshine headlight, so only one batter to worry about charging. Not very expensive, especially if you already have the battery ($120 for the headlight, battery pack, and tail light).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all and for the input and ideas.

For me, nothing is more important on my super early, dark rides to the office than being seen. I have compared all lights and I made the decision to go with another Dinotte 300R. I like it because it is so friggin bright, and because it is easy to recharge with a USB cable. (I keep my bike in a storage closet at work during the day so I just charge the light every other day while it sits in the closet.)

I am going to use the permanent mounting option for the light when it arrives.

To be honest I'm a little disappointed in Dinotte and I believe they have a design flaw that allows the light to easily fly off the bracket if it is not attached using the permanent method. (No - mine was not mounted upside down. YES - it was pushed on all the way when I left the office.) I am an engineer and understand design, and this is a poor design - so HEADS UP to other 300R owners!

In closing, I am so concerned about light levels that I have decided to go back to the same light, this time it will be bolted to the bracket though.

I do like the idea of adding a small secondary light to the back of my helmet, as suggested above. I will look for something small as I think that's a great idea.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been wanting a Dinotte 400R for a while now - so I took the plunge with daylight savings time. This light is a serious torch! I easily store the battery in the top of my pannier.

This picture is taken it a lit parking garage with the light on at 50% power. I plan to only use 100% power if it's raining or foggy. It's that bright. Nice to have the extra power when you need it...

Cars definitely give me more respect with this light running! :thumbsup:

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
I've been wanting a Dinotte 400R for a while now - so I took the plunge with daylight savings time. This light is a serious torch! I easily store the battery in the top of my pannier.

This picture is taken it a lit parking garage with the light on at 50% power. I plan to only use 100% power if it's raining or foggy. It's that bright. Nice to have the extra power when you need it...

Cars definitely give me more respect with this light running! :thumbsup:
Running my 400R and 140R on my commute today. Got 3 comments from drivers about how bright they are. Third one:

Great lights! What did you pay for them?

Couple hundred bucks.

No, the *lights,* not the bike.

Yes, a couple hundred for the lights. They are the brightest ones made.

[Look of total amazement]

If I told him the true cost of all of them, I think his head would have exploded.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I'm glad to see that Dinotte finally worked out some alternative mounting options rather than O-rings and seatpost mounts. My seatpost is blocked by my saddlebag that I use to carry gear for commuting, so mounting my Dinotte 140 was a challenge. I also like the fact that the new Dinotte tail-light has a self-contained battery with no separate battery pack.

On my budget, the Light & Motion Vis 360 is a better option -- helmet mounted headlight and taillight for about $120 -- but the Dinotte 300R is probably brighter if money is not an issue. I would be curious see a side-by-side comparison of the two taillights.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since writting my post above I have been looking at the DiNotte lights and really like them. My choice is the 1200L + for front and 300R for rear. I have had problems with run times on the L&M Urban 500 and will be returning it, others have too, as well as the customer support from L&M.

The reviews about how much better you are seen with the Dinotte lights hence making you safer have convinced me to make that the next light. And good customer service! I ride road and mountain bikes so the 1200L + otta do good for both bikes.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thanks to all and for the input and ideas.

For me, nothing is more important on my super early, dark rides to the office than being seen.

I am going to use the permanent mounting option for the light when it arrives.

I do like the idea of adding a small secondary light to the back of my helmet, as suggested above. I will look for something small as I think that's a great idea.

Thanks again.
Good to hear you're hard mounting the light. I was going to point out how important it is to aim the light straight back. I can't tell you how many times I've noticed someone's super bright flasher as I'm passing by because they have it on a backpack pointing only approximately backwards.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of the light in daylight. If the sun is low you are INVISIBLE the moment you ride into a shadow (stand of trees, building, anything). Drivers cannot see you from a bright area at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.