Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
The best cycling magazine is Dirt Rag, hands down.

Bikemonkey is actually a pretty good general cycling mag. It impressed me, but I've only found one issue so far. It touches on cross, MTB, road, commuting, beer, etc...

I haven't found a road-specific magazine that isn't crap yet.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Peloton.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I like Velo (even though I don't have any personal desire to race) and Road Bike Action, and also subscribe to Paved.

RBA and Paved are probably my top two.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm sick of Bicycling magazine and probably won't renew. I'm only interested in road cycling so the rest of the magazine has little appeal.

I just ordered Velo News.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is there anything similar to Bicycling but with a bit more... meat to it? I enjoy reading practical stuff, reviews and tips and etc., but I would prefer it with a somewhat more... critical angle. I don't think I've ever read a genuinely critical review in Bicycling, and I have a hard time believing everything is that great :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
For me its Road Bike Action. I like the overall coverage they give. I've had a subscription for a couple years now.

Peloton, Velo News, etc. are more for racing news which is fine if that's what you want.

Bicycling is good for about 1 year's worth. After that they just repeat the articles with new titles. Its fine for starters and that's about it.

Dirt Rag is good but it's just Mtn biking. If you want road stuff, that isn't the mag for you.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
But Velo News also has non-racing road bike info too, right? Reviews, training advice, etc...? I'm interested in the racing part but am hoping it's not limited to just that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like Bicycling Quarterly as others mentioned and also Bicycle Times which is more focued on commuting, general bike riding, and bikes as a life-style. I used to subscribe to Bicycling Magazine for years and then quit for a loong time. When I started reading it again ,I was amazed how it just never changed. Same "lead topics" each year such as "Get Lean Now". etc. It takes me less than an hour to read through that magazine each month. I no longer subscribe but will pick it up in the newstand just to have some cycling material to read.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Can I save you all some time and suggest you NOT buy a a subscription to Peloton?

I subscribed after a pretty decent early issue I happened to pick up and it seems to have gone downhill drastically. From the name, you'd think it would have something to do with road riding or racing but it actually has more to do with NOT RACING. There are tons of photos of people not riding bikes, articles on wineries, recipes for italian food, and oh yeah, the occasional article on dirt touring.

Their photo annual had more non-cycling photos than it had cycling photos. I hate this magazine.

Road Bike Action and Velo seem to be pretty good.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.