Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It could be new or used, I'm just interested to hear. There's nothing better than picking up a bike at the right price

My first road bike I picked up on craigslist - It was a Giant TCR 2. I got it for $300 with carbon stem and bars and look carbon pedals. I rode it for a few seasons then sold it for $850.

Let's hear em!

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
28 years ago I picked up a used, 1 year old Trek 660 frame (Reynolds 531 main tubes, Tange #2 fork and rear end) for $200. Going price for a quality production frame at the time was roughly $600-$700 based on the Consumer Price Index.

I raced on it for 11 years. It finally died this past November. It had been repaired once and painted twice. That frame didn't owe me a dime.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I just picked up a brand new BMC Roadracer SL02 for $2K, regularly $3K (Canada). Now I just have to wait for spring to check it out.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
2002 64cm Fuji Team (in 2003) in great shape, had cheaper than stock wheels. Won ebay auction for $240. Raced it for a season then sold the frame/fork for $350, later sold the bike that had the parts on it for $1100.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Found a nice CB600RR Honda on craigslist and went over to the seller's house during my lunch hour. After the test ride, I noticed a cool Medici bike gathering dust in his garage, saying something like, "hey, nice bike. Do you ride it?" He said he did not ride it for years and that he would sell it and a Trek 2300 to me for fifty bucks. Told him he could easily clean both up and get five hundred on eBay or craigslist. Nope, first $50 takes 'em both. Went around the corner to the ATM and bought them on the spot.

Lubed the chain on the Trek, slapped new tires on it, and gave it a quick tune-up. Fits my oldest boy perfectly. Cleaned the Medici to look almost like new. I reckon its mileage below 200, judging by the still green Shimano grease in the hubs, bb, headset, etc. Considered parting out the 600 components, but it looked way too nice. Tange tubes and sweet black paintjob. Sold it on eBay for about $500 to an ecstatic buyer who owned one exactly like it twenty years earlier.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Best deal on a new bike was from Colorado Cyclist. They were closing out the last of their 2008 Douglas Fusion bikes. It was basically a Fuji Roubaix with a few upgrades. These were hydroformed aluminum frames with carbon seatstay. Also full carbon fork, carbon seatpost and Easton Circuit wheels (1750g). Full Ultegra except Cane Creek brakes. $1300 delivered. The bike weighed 17.5 lbs. I rode that for three years and then moved the components over to a full carbon frame. Neuvation FC100 with carbon seatpost that I got new for $600 delivered.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
I just got a great deal on a Di2 equiped Cervelo R5... guy sold it out of the back of his van, wanted $500 for it. Looked like he had more than a dozen of them. It had some number tag on it but it came right off!

Yes I'm kidding.

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
In the summer of 2002 I got a very lightly ridden (probably less than 1000 miles) '98 Trek 5200 (in my size) given to me in exchange for installing a Campy Ergobrain on a customer/friends New Litespeed Ghisallo after the store closed for the evening. (I'd sold him the 5200 4 years before. I worked as a shop-rat/assistant manager at a small Trek dealer for many years.)
The customer was(is) a very wealthy, and exceedingly generous, man! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picked up an early 2000's Masi frame with carbon fork and Chorus calipers for $60 the other day. Cant wait to build it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My current rig, a 2003 Look KX Light, with 2003 record hubs, and 10 speed veloce group with less than 700KMs on it..... $700. I've since upgraded every component but the headset, having sold all the components for $700+.... yay free look frame :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got someone's custom steel Gunnar Sport frame and Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork on ebay for $285 shipped. Sold the fork for $100.

Got a mid 1990s Novara Randonee xs size frame, new in the box, at an REI garage sale for $15. It's built as a commuter bike and has long paid for itself in gasoline savings.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.