Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
Last year I bought my first roadbike: a stock Fuji Newest. Love the ride - everything feels good. I got a great deal on it knowing that, like I've done with my MTBs, I'd upgrade something every year to really enhance the ride. Since I don't have much experience with the road bikes, I look to you guys to give me some advice (as far as comfort, performance, etc.)

As far as usage, I really bought the bike to compete it biathlons and for fitness rides. I'll probably hit some road races this year as well.

Here's a link to my bike: http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=11

If you were in my posiition, what, if anything, would you upgrade first?

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Ivan

·
Registered
675 Posts
IvanTheTerrible said:
Hello everyone,
Last year I bought my first roadbike: a stock Fuji Newest. Love the ride - everything feels good. I got a great deal on it knowing that, like I've done with my MTBs, I'd upgrade something every year to really enhance the ride. Since I don't have much experience with the road bikes, I look to you guys to give me some advice (as far as comfort, performance, etc.)

As far as usage, I really bought the bike to compete it biathlons and for fitness rides. I'll probably hit some road races this year as well.

-Ivan
If you're racing duathalons (biathalons are skiing and rifle shooting, they get mad when their sport is confused :) ), get a set of aerobars if you don't already have them. Of course, you can't use them for any mass start races, but if you get into time trials along with road races, they'll be worth it.

As a general all-around upgrade, I'd say light-weight tubes and tires would give the most noticeable difference for the money. A set of good, light-weight racing tires from any of the top manufacturers can run $40-50 a tire, and light tubes usually run $5-7 each. Much cheaper than wheels, which I would say would be the next upgrade. Most other upgrades can generally turn into a money black-hole, where it can be much more cost-effective to purchase a new complete bike than upgrading your current ride piece by piece to get to the level you want. Just 2 pennies.

-R

·
Banned
608 Posts
merckx56 said:
Wheels...

Easiest way to buy speed and reduce weight.
Easiest? Or most expensive? Any wheelset that would make a difference in speed will not be cheap. For weight you can buy something like a Keo pedal and take a 100 gm off many other pedals. Lightweight tires like Veloflex Paves combined with lightweight tubes can take even more weight off for an even cheaper price; they have a nice road feel to them too.

Personally if I were just starting out, I think your money is better spent on accessories like clothing than on making improvements to components. Little things like arm warmers are a huge win.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Wheels are an easy answer.

1. They can be both functional (faster) and give your bike a new "bling" look that everybody can see.
2. You can mount your old wheelset with puncture resistant tires and have a wheelset for glassy-smooth rural rides and one for broken-glassy urban riding.
3. If you decide to change bikes, you get to take your fancy wheelset with you.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Tires & tubes 1st. Wheels 2nd. Pretty much everything else is either for increased comfort or bling factor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How's the saddle feel? Are you comfortable with the bars that came on the bike? Any problems with reach or drop? I would look at those areas first.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
depends on your bike and how you ride

i have not seen the newest in person and know nothing of alex wheels.
i have ridden 105 and tiagra--105 is okay but i like to mash and i quickly needed to replace the tiagra stuff.
i need a zero setback post, so that would be my first upgrade, then probably the saddle (comfort for me is either a flite or arione)
after that i think it depends on what you like--certainly lots of lighter stuff for forks and wheels, but i'd focus on what you sit on, and what you corner on (tires). after that you get mileage on there then think about 86 ing the tiagra if it is not crisp for you.
jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments, guys... very much appreciated. I'm going to start putting some miles on it then decide as the weather gets warmer.
-I

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
IvanTheTerrible said:
Hello everyone,

-Ivan
that's easy: replace what's broken or worn out.

What? Haven't broken or worn out anything yet? Then why spend $$ on it?!

Seriously, if you HAVE to spend $$ get yourself some form of coaching. Best investment is in the motor!

M

·
RoadBikeReview Member
8 Posts
Upgrade fever...isn't it great?

After riding my first road bike for a year, I found upgrading the stock saddle gave new life and comfort to the ride that I didn't think was possible. It sure made riding centuries easier. Although not as performance orientated as new wheels, it was less expensive and a great introduction to upgrade fever... a new bike with another new saddle...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
How 'bout the entire bike?

Just kidding.

Seriously though, my vote goes to a good seat and some good shorts.

IvanTheTerrible said:
Seat huh? Thats a good one. My a$$ is killing me! I'll look into that.
-I

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Ride it and see what bugs you. Shorts are a good start. Then replace whatever bugs your or just doesn't trip yer triggers.

And remember what Fernando said: "It ees better to look good, than to feel good."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts