Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my Garmin Edge 705 for awhile now but it doesn't show alot of the roads that I ride.. So I need to get some decent mapping software for the Unit and am not sure what to get.. I also have a Garmin 60CSX that I would like to be able to update the software on also.. I originally thought I could just buy an SD card with some maps on it and take it from Unit to Unit but then I was told that you cannot update the SD cards. Then I hears someone say that you can just download the program to a blank SD card and then you can get free updates... What is the best way to do this? And what's the best software.. Looking for Roads, not Topo or anything like that..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you are just using the basemap that came on your 705. I got the City Navigator® North America NT maps a few months ago and they are very detailed, even showing a fairly new shopping mall close to where I live. I got the maps in DVD format cause I wanted to be able to create routes on my computer and then send to the blank SD card in my 705. One thing to note here is that when first installing the maps to my 705 with Mapsource MapInstall it takes several hours for the mapset to build and then transfer to the Garmin.
Per Garmin's website here are the differences between the formats:
DVD/CD: Maps purchased in this format will require a computer to use but will allow you to plan trips on your computer and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to your GPS device. The installation process will install the mapping and the MapSource application to your computer. MapSource can then be used to send maps to either your device or a datacard. Please note that most mapping products in this format are unlocked to a single device and they are non-transferable. City Navigator maps in this format can be updated by purchasing a mapping update, when available.

Pre-programmed datacards: Pre-programmed datacards are immediately ready to use. Simply unpack the card and insert it into your compatible GPS device. These maps do not need to be unlocked to your device which allows you to move the card to multiple units if desired, however you will not have access to the mapping on your computer. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Downloadable Content: Maps purchased in this format can be downloaded directly from the Garmin website. This is the quickest method of getting mapping for your next trip. Downloaded maps can be sent to either your GPS unit or a blank datacard. All maps in this format are unlocked to a specific device and they can only be used on the device that they were unlocked to. Similar to the pre-programmed datacards, this mapping is not available on your computer for use in planning routes. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 for GPSFiledepot.com

drmayer said:
I use GPSFiledepot.com for maps. Its free. There are some steps to take at first, but they are well explained in the tutorials. You'll need to download Garmin mapsource to upload maps to the gps. That is also explained.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Agree with drmayer--I'm not sure what you get in the purchased maps but with the free ones, I have gotten a lot of great maps with lots of street detail at least in major suburban areas/cites, etc.

I would try the free ones first to see if they work for you before dropping coin on the others.

Just my .02......

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use the DVD purchased from Garmin. I use Mapsource to plot my rides and save them as GPX files. The mapping has been dead on accurate every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts