Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
There are too many variables involved, starting with Mr. Hickeys question above, for there to be a definitive answer. That being said, Felt, Giant, Fuji and Jamis are a few brands that come to mind as providing good bang for the buck.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
How much do you ride?
How experienced are you?
Do you deserve a really nice bike?
What geometry do you need?
What do you weigh?
How tall?
Can you fit on a "stock" frame?
Are you trying to impress people?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
Are you aware that,

A "top shelf" bike will empty your wallet to the tune of $4000+ for a factory job? Top shelf is not needed at all for fitness and commuting...as a matter of fact for the latter---top shelf only makes your bike a target.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I was considering a BD bike, but now considering a closeout Bianchi. For the difference, I'm getting the same value in the upgrades I'd want. It's a close call... But the Bianchi does come with a free fitting.
However, you really can't beat BD's $1999 carbon/dura ace bike for the price.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Yer SUCH a troublemaker :blush2:

what do you mean?! those are great bikes, at great prices...
so what if they took old traditional makers' names and put them on Asia-made frames
so what if the website looks a bit outdated
so what if you gotta tolerate lower end "minor bits" (stem, seatpost, saddle, etc)
so what if you gotta be able to do minor wrenching to put it together, or be willing to take to lbs
so what if you get no periodic servicing, as you might from a lbs
so what if other people who don't like bd might look at you with disdain

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
FatTireFred said:
what do you mean?! those are great bikes, at great prices...
so what if they took old traditional makers' names and put them on Asia-made frames
so what if the website looks a bit outdated
so what if you gotta tolerate lower end "minor bits" (stem, seatpost, saddle, etc)
so what if you gotta be able to do minor wrenching to put it together, or be willing to take to lbs
so what if you get no periodic servicing, as you might from a lbs
so what if other people who don't like bd might look at you with disdain
After 4000 poasts, you're still not aware that once a thread mentions The Bicycle Company That Must Not Be Named around here--it quickly disolve into flame war?

As for you being a troublemaker, post hoc ergo propter hoc of the above. Simple statement of fact-no need to call in Dr. Bottom Bracket Shell-I never flamed BD, or intended to. 'Tis a compliment anywho :)

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Room 1201 said:
After 4000 poasts, you're still not aware that once a thread mentions The Bicycle Company That Must Not Be Named around here--it quickly disolve into flame war?

As for you being a troublemaker, post hoc ergo propter hoc of the above. Simple statement of fact-no need to call in Dr. Bottom Bracket Shell-I never flamed BD, or intended to. 'Tis a compliment anywho :)

I guess I should have included one of these :rolleyes: , or one of these :eek: ... you fascist communist penguin, you.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
I think this is another impossible question with so many opinions out there, sort of like asking which is best, blonde, brunette or redhead...the answer is brunette.

Shop around, find a few bikes you like, test ride all of them in the correct size if possible and take it home and ride it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
nicensleazy said:
Ah..............After around 20 years away, my main aim is to return to road racing. What I don't want to do is buy a bike and six months down the line, regret the purchase or updrading a thousand and one parts.
FWIW, if I were coming back after 20 years I'd look around for something used, craigslist, etc. just to have something to ride for awhile. Once you've re-acclimated a bit (& hung around all the cool lookin stuff) you'll know what you want.

I know that aint bling but like Peanya said, it's more about the rider than the ride and fit is key. Welcome back to the road!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
get your measurements done so at least you know what size you need. Find out your budget and buy a good secondhand bling bike $500 dollars less than that then buy shoes, clothes and basic tools. Then if you really want to go full out, buy a red ferrari.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The cervelo soloist team is a pretty good all around bang for your buck bike. Yes maybe a little overpriced for an alu frame but still a good bang for your buck bike. Good for racing also.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Something that has both "top spec and fully loaded" and "value for money" huh? Those two requirements work against each other. You also want a bike for commuting and road racing. Well, these 2 requirements also work against each other. Most commuter type bikes don't use high-end components and most racing bikes don't have room for 32mm tires, fenders and a rack.

The thing is though, at the end of the day you will most likely not no go any faster on a 25lb steel commuter than you will on a $15,000 carbon fiber Ferrari wonder-bike. If you hear it or not that's the simple and honest truth. If you were a friend coming to me for advice I would take you to as many bike shops as possible and get you riding every bike that fits you. Then, after riding at least 5 different bikes you have some base to make a decision from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.