Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Breakin' Stuff
439 Posts
Despite some of the horror stories that I have heard about UPS, I have never had a problem when I ship mine in my Serfas case. I've probably done it 50-60 times & it's reasonably cheap even insuring for the full value.

40 Posts
There are a couple of tricks, here. The best is, and I'll only use their initials, is
American Airlines. I once rolled my bike up to the ticket counter in, and I'll only
use initials, Palm Springs; and I needed it to go with me to, and I'll only use initials,
Washington National. I didn't have it in a box, case, plastic bag or anything. The
agent took my bike, walked it through a door where luggage, dogs, and only distant
relatives go never to be seen again. Several hours later, I arrive at the luggage area
at National; and there was an airline agent standing there with my bikem waiting
for me. And, this included a change of planes at, and I'll only use initials, DFW, er Dallas-Ft. Worth.
MOZT (using initials only)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I prefer FedEx, as UPS has damaged several bikes I shipped with them. The last time I shipped with UPS, the counter guy said "Ya know, we sure get lots of claims on bikes." To which I replied "Maybe you guys could stop shoving forklift blades through the boxes." he laughed like it was the funniest joke he had ever heard. I still don't find it very funny.

FedEx is cheaper and has a better reputation, IMHO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
how big is the box you guys use to ship in? cause on the fedex site, size of the package seems to matter a lot to price. will bike shops give me a box to ship in? is this the right size to ship in?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I usually get two boxes. One large, and one any size. The second box gets cut up to use as a double wall for areas like rear wheel/deraillier area. I've never been charged by any shop for an old box. Just call ahead and ask them to save you two.

Tip. For about 5.00, go to office depot and get a roll of bubble wrap.

J

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Use FEDEX least hassle, never had a problem with them. the key to having your bike or frame arrive intact is to fill the voids after bike is placed in box to prevent it from moving around. the last frame i shipped was taped to a cardboard spacer the width of the box. it taped to the inside of the tubes of the main triangle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.