Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is work in the sense that it is hard to get consistent blocks of training going or following a plan. For example, during base or build it wouldn't be atypical to get a 700+TSS week followed by a 100 followed by another 700 followed by 300 etc...The 700 weeks would be riding 6 to 7 days per week while the 100-300 weeks would be 1 to 3 days on the bike. Maddening.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This year it is time dedicated to training. But on purpose. I have too many irons in the fire and decided to take a year 'off' to focus on family and career (pubs and research) first. I am still training about 8-10 hours a week and have decent form, but don't plan to race much because just participating in a race is not as fun as being a contender. I plan to come into a strong CX season and have a full 2014 season.

My limiter physiologically is likely my weight (LBM total) and my higher amount of type two fibers. I have been working on FTP, but my 10 sec - 5 min power are cat 1-2,while my FTP in w/kg put me as a low 3 ish. I make due with skills and choosing races that suit my ability. I might go all in next year and try to lose some more upper body muscle mass, but that is easier said than done.......

·
Registered
373 Posts
I save a lot of time on training because I ride to work and back (5okm round trip) There are plenty of hills for intervals, etc. Then that night, I will do another 2hrs on the indoor trainer, just watching tv with the wife, but at low intensity.

This is working well for me, especially with losing wieght.
My biggest limiter though is my body. I'd love to regularly push myself harder, but am prone to injury. I can't seem to get supple. Been professionally set up, etc. I have to take a very gradual rise to form.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Time is my limiter in base. Fatigue is my limiter with intervals. Both on the trainer. For road riding it's fatigue, I ride more at interval intensity than base on the road.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Time to ride. I do not race but enjoy following a structured training program and trying to ride more than 15 hours in a week is next to impossible. In fact getting that many in rarely happens. Hard to build when you don't have consistent training time.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Time and schedule are probably my biggest. I do my best with what I have, but it's not quite enough. My usual overtime has been cut. The addition of a band and newborn have basically taken up that time I gained back from work. I've been slacking with my sprint intervals since those fall later in the week when work has me very fatigued.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like we are all in the same boat regarding time. Sdeer brings up a good point about a physiological limiter. I have no idea what mine would be as I don't have the time to find out! Bam!:D Seriously, though, cycling has to be one of the more maddening sports if you're trying to improve. I know that's relative but, for me being in the upper cats and masters, everyone is good. If I fall off training at all I'm not going to be competitive at all. Having a family, career, house and wife I just seem to be going through a period where I don't know why I even try. With that said, I can't seem to give it up. Always chasing that one elusive result.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Looks like we are all in the same boat regarding time. Sdeer brings up a good point about a physiological limiter. I have no idea what mine would be as I don't have the time to find out! Bam!:D Seriously, though, cycling has to be one of the more maddening sports if you're trying to improve. I know that's relative but, for me being in the upper cats and masters, everyone is good. If I fall off training at all I'm not going to be competitive at all. Having a family, career, house and wife I just seem to be going through a period where I don't know why I even try. With that said, I can't seem to give it up. Always chasing that one elusive result.
If we're going with physiological, I'm just not that good. I'd think most other cyclists who trained the same hours and same intensity would totally smoke me.

I find I'm most hindered by geography as a climber in the midwest. Hopefully I'll be able to test my legs in the PacNW this summer. :smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If we're going with physiological, I'm just not that good. I'd think most other cyclists who trained the same hours and same intensity would totally smoke me.

I find I'm most hindered by geography as a climber in the midwest. Hopefully I'll be able to test my legs in the PacNW this summer. :smilewinkgrin:
I think I'm in the same boat. Just not a natural at it but I still come back for more for some reason.

Cascade Classic?

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat. Just not a natural at it but I still come back for more for some reason.

Cascade Classic?
Probaby just doing one of the uphill time trials in Aug. Wife and I haven't had a vacation since the kid was born, so a quick n' dirty race makes more sense at the moment.

I'd love to do the Cascade Classic one of these days. With my son a little older, perhaps I can take my wife somewhere nice next spring to allow me to race the Cascade Classic next year.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probaby just doing one of the uphill time trials in Aug. Wife and I haven't had a vacation since the kid was born, so a quick n' dirty race makes more sense at the moment.

I'd love to do the Cascade Classic one of these days. With my son a little older, perhaps I can take my wife somewhere nice next spring to allow me to race the Cascade Classic next year.
Sweet. Seems like everyone up in the PNW is really fit. Not sure why but those guys can race bikes! Good luck! Oh and don't wait too long to race the races you want to fit in your life. I thought the same thing 13 years ago. Always waiting for the perfect time to do this or that only to find it gets tougher as the kids get older. Still haven't done half the things I said I do back then. lol!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I HEAR YOU!! Me too! I am 5'10" female...148# and would really like to be 140, but damn those IPAs!
Here's how ridiculous I am. Red wine...I started drinking red wine after the 1994 winter Olympics in Lillehammer. The Italian 4X10 Nordic team won gold and one of the guys named Maurilio De Zolt was asked something to the effect of what he did to make him so good at his age. He was 43 at the time IIRC! He said something like he drank a lot of red wine. lol! Most I know drink beer but I get it. Such a simple pleasure.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Sweet. Seems like everyone up in the PNW is really fit. Not sure why but those guys can race bikes! Good luck! Oh and don't wait too long to race the races you want to fit in your life. I thought the same thing 13 years ago. Always waiting for the perfect time to do this or that only to find it gets tougher as the kids get older. Still haven't done half the things I said I do back then. lol!
I'm generally good about going for it. I was really hoping to do the Cascade Classic in 2011 and in decent shape, just got denied by the employer. Last year was a no-go with the baby. I'll make an effort to check it off the list next year. I definitely need to get in way better shape if I want to be competitive.

Overall, I can't complain too much. Just got back from band practice and am sipping a homebrew Belgian golden strong.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Asthma, and a weakened immune system. I have all the time in the world to ride, but I'm usually sick all winter, so I play catch up all spring.
Asthma sucked! Most of my life, the good meds weren't around yet. I was further delayed by a pediatrician who simply wasn't up to date with inhaled steroids and long acting beta agonists. As it were, I wouldn't have been able to ride in college due to the difficulty of my program. Perhaps I could have been a category or two better if I had the free time in college and decent asthma meds growing up.

Still, I couldn't run for more than a few houses before having an asthma attack as a kid. Even DFL was more than I could dream of as a kid.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What's The Biggest Limiter To Your Training?
Age as it relates to the ability to recover from hard workouts - both high intensity and high volume rides. Back in the day we'd train basically by riding lots with speed play nearly every ride. Ideal set up for race training when you're 19 or 22 years old. The old guys with real jobs, families and two dozen more birthdays used to complain about the young guys drilling the pace all the time - didn't get it back then, but do now.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
For me it is genetics and my age (I am 50). Time has not been an issue this year, but I did sacrifice a lot to be able to train so much. I have averaged over 80 TSS/day since late October and for Jan/Feb/Mar base training I averaged over 800 TSS/week. So I have no excuses, other than genetics and age. :)

I do have a demanding job (but not physical) with some travel, so I have to be creative to get my workouts in no matter what.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.