Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know he had the crash yesterday, but why did he fall back so far today? After last year's King of the Mountain title, I thought that he'd contend for the overall this year. However, he may not even finish the race!

· mad scientist
204 Posts
He's just hoping he'll feel better by the beginning of the mountain stages. It may be that the KoM comp is already over for him ... but even if so he may still try for a stage win and then abandon if the wrist is still too bad.

· Registered
44 Posts
I'd be surprised if he makes it to the Pyrenees to be honest. He had the same thing in the Giro and lasted 9 stages after the crash. The scaphoid doesn't heal very quickly at all.

Can't blame him for losing time, he was in the slinky all day and probably used up a lot of nervous energy. Besides, maybe this will give him some freedom to go for breakaways later on.

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
I also don't see him lasting until the mountains either. How many kms of cobblestones are there between now and the Pyrenees? I could see him calling it quits if they hit some significant cobbles. Making an attempt to defend the Dots is the only reason he has left to try and stick it out. He was fun to watch last year.

· Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
ziggurat22 said:
Geezus,

Isn't there something they can give the guy for the pain? I have Soler on my Tour fantasy team and I'm totally screwed if I lose him this early in the game.
I don't think anything narcotic would be wise in a stage race. Maybe ibuprofen but then to keep the pain negligible you might find it too much for the stomach.

Race doctors might not allow any drugs anyway. JV was denied the use of cortisone for a wasp sting.

· Registered
930 Posts
Doesn't look good for Soler after the crash. What a shame to have to take an exit ticket just after the first stage. I was really looking forward to him destroying the favorites on the mountains, looks like will have to wait for that till next year.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope

ziggurat22 said:
Geezus,

Isn't there something they can give the guy for the pain? I have Soler on my Tour fantasy team and I'm totally screwed if I lose him this early in the game.

Cycling rules prohibit most medicines during the race. I didn't know his wrist was broken until now. I don't see him continuing much longer. Shame.

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
My wife is an Xray tech. She was watching the tour with me when Ligget was talking about his injury. When he said he had a broken bone, she said the bone he said was in the shoulder(scapula?? Can't remember exactly). Then later Liggett said wrist?? Which is it??
Bryan

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
My wife is an Xray tech. She was watching the tour with me when Ligget was talking about his injury. When he said he had a broken bone, she said the bone he said was in the shoulder(scapula?? Can't remember exactly). Then later Liggett said wrist?? Which is it??
Bryan
Scaphoid bone in his wrist. I'm not sure if it's even been confirmed or not as it often takes some time to be able to detect on X-ray.

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Ok, now I understand. Sounds like Ligget mispoke the first time he mentioned his injury. Or possibly bad info from the producer. I scanned the recording (still on my DVR) he did say "scapula" the first time. Then "scafoid" later in the broadcast. Thanks for the explanation on where he is injured.
Bryan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.