Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. so helmets are classified as a road or mt.bike but what's the difference some people like a visor when mt. biking, I took mine off when a low branch almost took my head off. so is there a difference. just a question since I'm looking for a new helmet. thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Function and style I guess. Road bike helmets need to be more aerodynamic, MTB helmets need to stand up to branch damage and getting snagged. Also there is the need for different venting for speed differences. Then there is the whole bottle vs. camelback type issues, which I guess comes under style.

·
Registered
343 Posts
they say that mtb helmets have vents that are designed to work with your head up, road helmets are designed to vent better with your head angled a little more down.

Just repeating what the rep says.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nessism said:
We have a winner!:D

To add some drift...why in the world do people pay $100+ for a helmet? Can't figure it out.:confused:
Same reason why some people will pay $100 for a pair of jeans while a $20 pair will do just as good of a job - style.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Also alot of mountian bike helmets tend to come down more in the back for extra protection. I own a $40 specialized road helmet, a Fox mtn helmet, and a Giro Atmos road helmet. they all have served their purposes well. The Giro vents air far better than the specialized and is super comfy for my head. The fox is way too bulky and hot for road use but is great on the trails.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Nessism said:
We have a winner!:D

To add some drift...why in the world do people pay $100+ for a helmet? Can't figure it out.:confused:
Because they watch Versus and took notice of what the pros were wearing. Every time Lance sports a new model Giro, the old model becomes, the old model. And lots of people don't want to be associated with the old model. And because the entire lure of the new model was that it was the new model, the lure and satisfaction is completely gone when it is no longer the new model. So the cycle continues.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Helmets are like clothing.

Buy what you like. Not everyone rides Rapha or Rock and Republic, but you can if you want to.

For the rest of us there's PI or LG... or... performance or etc...

Ditto for helmets. Also, some people have weird heads, so go figure.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Because they watch Versus and took notice of what the pros were wearing. Every time Lance sports a new model Giro, the old model becomes, the old model. And lots of people don't want to be associated with the old model. And because the entire lure of the new model was that it was the new model, the lure and satisfaction is completely gone when it is no longer the new model. So the cycle continues.
Is there still people out there who cares about what Lance wears ? amazing

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
Is there still people out there who cares about what Lance wears ? amazing
Lance, Levi, Cavendesh, Bob Roll, whoever. The "Be like Mike" syndrome is a cash cow.
I'm surprised I haven't seen the Mello Johnny Cash/man in black look take off here in Tucson. Maybe the riders here have more sense than to wear a fabric heat sink in 100+ degree weather.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I have two helmets.

My roadie helmet is a Giro Atmos because I sweat really badly when I exercise. The Giro had the best airflow of any helmet out at the time that I bought it (or so I was told). To me it was worth the premium, though I'm not about to run out to buy a new Ionos any time soon.

My commuter/mountain bike helmet is a Bell Delirium that I bought at Performance on sale. I figured that this helmet would be more prone to damage from a crash, being dropped from my desk at work, etc. It also allowed me to have some peace of mind if I locked the helmet up with the bike at the subway station.

The Giro helmet feels like it sits on top of my head while the Delirium sits lower and feels like it protects my head more. I do sweat a lot more when using the Delirium, so it has its trade-offs.

All helmets are ANSI and Snell certified so they all protect your head about the same. The price difference comes from the amount of R&D that goes into it as well as the materials and construction techniques used to make it. Are they worth the price premium? Yes and no. Yes, if the features mean something to you. No, if you just want to protect your head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 for the trek vapor. best buy hands down. if you take the visor off, wallla, you have a sonix, hahaa. good buy and a great helmet.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
On the general whole mtb helmets tend to have fewer but larger vent holes for better ventilation at lower speeds. Road helmets tend to have smaller or narrower but more vent holes for better air flow and aerodynamics at higher speeds. Mtb helmets usually come with a visor and some may extend farther down in the back and behind the ear.

First, I buy what fits my noggin and that's almost always a Bell. Second, I buy last years model or a discontinued model or a model that was the top of the line 2-3 years ago because they're usually highly discounted. I try to never pay more than $50 for a helmet. Third, I pick a color that I like, or if it's too good a bargain and I can't pass it up, I'll take what they got for color. I don't care if it's a road or mountain helmet. I take the visor off and throw it away if it's a mtb helmet. I use the same helmet for road and mountain biking. I usually replace my helmet every couple of years because I've had a mtb crash(s) that's bad enough to warrant replacing the helmet for safety reasons.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How often do people replace their helmets? Is there a recommendation, or what do you all do? My helmet is probably 8 years old. Never hit it hard, so no structural damage or anything, but don't want to risk it. I cracked my previous one in a bad mtn bike crash, so I know they can be very important in certain circumstances.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
tystevens said:
How often do people replace their helmets? Is there a recommendation, or what do you all do? My helmet is probably 8 years old. Never hit it hard, so no structural damage or anything, but don't want to risk it. I cracked my previous one in a bad mtn bike crash, so I know they can be very important in certain circumstances.
If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts