Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
they're one and the same. campy doppler shifters have sprung washers that provide more of a feel of retrofriction levers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was curious as in 88 Campy lists both models.
Again out of curiosity, why when DT friction shifters were the only product available did the call them "retro" friction shifters?

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
My experience with friction shifters (back when they were all we had - and for many years afterwards) was that you wanted to use the shifter made by the same manufacturer as the rear derailleur. I don't know if it was because of the size of the barrel around which the cable wound on the shifter, but the shifting always seemed smoother and more predictable when I mated them like that. It could just have been a psychological thing...

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
... use the shifter made by the same manufacturer as the rear derailleur... the shifting always seemed smoother... It could just have been a psychological thing...
it's a rule.

or just aesthetics, which has its own level of importance.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
My experience with friction shifters (back when they were all we had - and for many years afterwards) was that you wanted to use the shifter made by the same manufacturer as the rear derailleur. I don't know if it was because of the size of the barrel around which the cable wound on the shifter, but the shifting always seemed smoother and more predictable when I mated them like that. It could just have been a psychological thing...
it's a rule.

or just aesthetics, which has its own level of importance.
I'd say that this can be attributed to never having tried Simplex Retro-Friction shifters. They do not have enough wrap for 10 speed and up systems but will 6 speed systems and probably 7spd but I'm not sure about 8 or 9spd systems.

As far a friction shifters go, none compare with the smoothness or shifting action of these.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
As far a friction shifters go, none compare with the smoothness or shifting action of these.
that may be true. but when you have vintage campy on a bike, you have to go with campy shifters. there is no substitute.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
it would bug me. but, to each his own. i'm sure they feel nice.

is your rear brake cable just too long, or should you route it under the front cable to keep it down?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
it would bug me. but, to each his own. i'm sure they feel nice.

is your rear brake cable just too long, or should you route it under the front cable to keep it down?
The Simplex shifters out perform the standard Campagnolo shifters by such a large margin that I see no good reason to use them just because they say Campagnolo on them. And if that's the only reason not to use them the old trick was a set of these over them.

Text Teal Aqua Turquoise Colorfulness

You really ought to invest in a pair if only to see how much they bring to the table, the Simplex Retro Friction shifters, that is.

The Retrogrouch: Retro Friction - Part One

The Retrogrouch: Retro Friction - Part Two - Copies and Competition

Simplex Retrofriction levers

Part 2 of the retrogrouch blog goes on to explain that Campagnolo came out with their Retro Friction shifters about 20 yrs after Simplex, but by then here comes index shifting.

The cable is plenty long, I just don't pay it no nevermind.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Having ridden a lot of different downtube friction shifting systems, I've never used one (when properly adjusted) that couldn't shift cogs or rings correctly. But we do tend to label certain products as superior. Actually, my favorite is the Suntour Accushift system. The shifters were mounted on the topside of the downtube and featured a cam that trimmed the FD as you shifted across the range of the cogs.

My problem is that I have enough vintage rides, with different shifting systems, I never get used to just one bike's system - and therefore am frequently glancing to check chainline. Most people might find that unacceptable, but the fun of different bikes with different systems is part of the attraction for me.

I have newer bikes with Ergo for those outings where speed, cadence and other cyclists dictate what kind of ride it may be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts