Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the sport and i was wondering what the difference is between a road race and a criterium? What kind of license do i get, a cat 5?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,404 Posts
Hey, I thought that everybody had to take a test in order to get on this site?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
rider22 said:
i am just tryin to get some help man
You will start as a cat 5. A road race is a longer course, usually with roads open to traffic. A crit is a loop less than a mile in length, with the roads always closed to traffic. Generally crits are more technically demanding, but it really depends.

Google the usa cycling rulebook and you'll get a bunch more info. You can also search on this site for beginning racer info, you'll probably get more than a few hits.

Silas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SilasCL said:
You will start as a cat 5. A road race is a longer course, usually with roads open to traffic. A crit is a loop less than a mile in length, with the roads always closed to traffic. Generally crits are more technically demanding, but it really depends.

Google the usa cycling rulebook and you'll get a bunch more info. You can also search on this site for beginning racer info, you'll probably get more than a few hits.

Silas

thanks for the info

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Also, many short circuit races aren't criteriums, so it can get confusing.

Basically, crits tend to have a time format (40 minutes + 2 laps,), and have a wheel pit and a free lap rule.

A "circuit" road race will tend to have a specified distance (10 laps, 1.5 miles / lap), and no free lap rule.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Criteriums are...

the motocross of road bike racing. Technical, sharp corners, elbow to elbow, wheel to wheel and the last few laps are lung burners...

But man are they fun....

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Correct me..

racerx said:
the motocross of road bike racing. Technical, sharp corners, elbow to elbow, wheel to wheel and the last few laps are lung burners...

But man are they fun....

if I'm wrong, as I will just start racing this year....but criteriums can tend to be dangerous. I was told NOT to race them for first season...stick to TT and road and circuit races. I also plan on doing some cyclocross this fall. My friends who are experienced racers told me not to do crits til my second year, as they can be intimidating and dangerous until you have some better racing skills under your belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts