Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now let me state id sure preafre a bike bought at a lbs but they was out of my price range this recession is kicking my but.so i got a Schwinn tourist hybrid and i love it why do everyone say never get bike at target or wallyworld?will this bike just fail on me?it only has altus componets and i know they aint good but for 250 bucks they seem ok the bike is comfy its fast enough for me at my fitness level i just hope it wont just leave me stranded

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
the drawback is...... it was purchased at Target.

Even if you take the low quality of the bike itself out of the equation, a big issue still remains: Target = NO service after the sale.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats true i did have to adjust it my self but wasnt that hard.someday i hope to get a bike at a cool bike store like the ones that folks here told me about performance i think is the name.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
For a casual rider who may put 100 miles in a year on it, they're fine. If you want to ride over 1000 miles, you'll very quickly learn why.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
For the particular bike you've bought you've already found out the major drawback. They aren't always assembled well and need adjustment after the purchase. They also don't provide service after the sale. That's the main advantage to paying more at a local bike shop, especially if you don't know how to service a bike yourself. A year of service/adjustment is often thrown in as part of the deal by a bike shop. There's nothing wrong with the bike itself and local shops will carry a comparable model but charge more.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
rabidfox said:
thats true i did have to adjust it my self but wasnt that hard.someday i hope to get a bike at a cool bike store like the ones that folks here told me about performance i think is the name.
Better off looking for bargains in the RBR Classifieds or Craig's List.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
rabidfox said:
now let me state id sure preafre a bike bought at a lbs but they was out of my price range this recession is kicking my but.so i got a Schwinn tourist hybrid and i love it why do everyone say never get bike at target or wallyworld?will this bike just fail on me?it only has altus componets and i know they aint good but for 250 bucks they seem ok the bike is comfy its fast enough for me at my fitness level i just hope it wont just leave me stranded
This is direct intellectual theft from another poster here on RBR (MB1), but I happen to agree with the idea, so I'm going to post it.

Bikes purchased from a local bike shop are speced and sold as recreational equipment sold to (mostly) adults. They are designed with frequent use and recreational type use in mind.

Bikes purchased from a big box discount retailer are speced and sold as toys to (mostly) children. They are designed with infrequent and light duty use in mind.

In short, if you end up using your department store bike in a recreational fashion, expect things to start failing, it just wasn't built for that kind of usage.

My Specialized Hardrock lasted me 10 years. When I bought it, it was about the cheapest thing on the floor, but it still gave me 10 years of good service and 1000's of miles. I suspect you won't get the same results. If you end up having to buy 2 or 3 more bikes in the next 10 years, which strategy is the cheapest?

Scot

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i already put a 100 miles on it id go more but im out of shape and the hills here are crazy i realy do live on the bottem of a hill so no matter which way i go its up hill leaveing and down comeing back

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
you'd get a better bike used for that money.

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Hey rabidfox enjoy it, and I hope it helps to increase your fitness level. Ride it till you can't ride it no more, and then maybe funds will be there for a better ride. The main thing is your on a bike and rolling, enjoy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
One huge drawback is that snooty bike aficionados will be looking down their nose at you...

Seriously, ride what you can afford to ride and enjoy it. Granted, inexpensive discount store bikes aren't nearly as good quality as expensive bikes but sometimes I wonder...is my 3000 dollar bike 10 times "better" then a 300 dollar bike?? There was a time when I was young and in college without a nickle to spare and I rode discount store bikes to get around and that is where I developed my love for cycling, once I was working and could afford better bikes that love become an absolute obsession.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my biggest thing is used bike in this town are all gone or to big for me im selling my gt rebound as we speak it was to tall for me and is beat up badly so i put it on craigs list for 75 as is which it realy needs ton of work.but i rode it for years

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
For the particular bike you've bought you've already found out the major drawback. They aren't always assembled well and need adjustment after the purchase. They also don't provide service after the sale. That's the main advantage to paying more at a local bike shop, especially if you don't know how to service a bike yourself. A year of service/adjustment is often thrown in as part of the deal by a bike shop. There's nothing wrong with the bike itself and local shops will carry a comparable model but charge more.
Bingo!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
rabidfox said:
i already put a 100 miles on it id go more but im out of shape and the hills here are crazy i realy do live on the bottem of a hill so no matter which way i go its up hill leaveing and down comeing back
For many recreational riders, 100 miles, that's a week.
For many children riders, 100 miles, is a good chunk of a season.

All I'm saying is If you use this bike as a recreationalist typically does, expect it to wear out in less than a recreationalist season. I'm not knocking your choice, just trying to answer your question. There is nothing wrong with buying a dept store bike wearing it out, or getting it stolen, and buying another. For example, if I ever lose my secure parking at my office building, I'll be on the same bike as you.

Scot

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Generally speaking, if you are a decent wrench and can completely maintain these bikes yourself, for commutes and around town use, these department store bikes can last a very long time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i called the bike maker earlier and in 2 minutes i was speaking to a real person she said the parts are warrented for lifetime but labor cost money i asked what if i fix it my self she sais they will send me the part that breaks not includeing tires tubes or break pads or cables but that sounds pretty cool

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
Ditto to most of what the others have said.........

If you get 2 years of frequent use out of a department store bike, consider yourself lucky. I just took delivery on a very expensive road bike ($6K+) that replaced a very good road bike that had 30K miles on it over 8 years. It still has a few years of service left in it, but I just decided it was time 'for me' to replace it. Not everybody would have replaced it for a while longer.

No matter how good of a wrench you are, you'll never get that kind of usage out of a department store bike. And then there is the whole enjoyment factor. I can guarantee you will enjoy riding a LBS bike much more than a Target bike.....which means it's more likely that you'll ride more often and for longer distances.

With all that said........Keep riding!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lots of good advice so far some day for sure ill get a good bike.illl get well at least a 4 k bike thats last years model at the time.i dont have a car and dont want one but a do want a good bike i just love being out there in the air and geting the heart rate up

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
rabidfox said:
lots of good advice so far some day for sure ill get a good bike.illl get well at least a 4 k bike thats last years model at the time.i dont have a car and dont want one but a do want a good bike i just love being out there in the air and geting the heart rate up

Sounds like you got the fever for cycling......welcome to your new addiction

1 - 20 of 37 Posts