Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random 3am Friday Night home thought.

On my track bike (Running 49-14) I did 36 mph recently with the help of a 2 block decline. I only knew I was going that fast because a friendly policeman pulled up next to me at the next light and playfully exclaimed that he should give me a ticket for going over the speed limit (30mph last i checked).

To be honest, I don't think I'd wanna go much faster on the road with traffic. I'd love to take a road bike and do some mountain decents.

What about you guys?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Erm... Honestly... There are several of these topics over the course of a few months or so.

Do a search.

Fact #1: People will lie about their speeds

Fact #2: People will make fun of you in this thread (probably, but more likely than not perhaps. Again, it's a possibility, not a certainty. But you get the probable outcome right?)

Fact #3: I got nothing else.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
[

Really? Just type maximum speed and you get several results actually. Same goes for Shimano or Campy or whatever along those lines.

Questions like these get asked ever so often and those who have been around here long enough (or seen enough of these questions) know a few things - they're repetitive, people end up boasting, people get flamed, etc etc.

It's kinda like which is the best bike out there question only that these kinds (what's your average speed, how long can you hold 25mph, what's your fastest descent, am i fast enough at 27mph? etc etc) are just well, very subjective and been discussed to ends.

Your max might be 40mph in a sprint - another guy would be 41 on a downhill. Another might not even give a damn but just enjoy riding. You see the reasoning perhaps?

Every so often, some would ask what's everyone's average speed and in these threads, sometimes, the OP would boast and say they can hold 25mph or so but feel they are still too slow. Then, trolling starts.

I know some questions are genuine and people do want to know these numbers but given the numerous times they've been asked, discussed, joked and all.... Yeah.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Well over 50 mph going down a mountain in Georgia. Brasstown Bald to be exact. Somewhere in the low 40 mph range on a flat sprint with a heck of a tailwind. Over a 160 mph on my old GS1100 near Roswell, New Mexico which is why I now ride a Harley.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well over 60 down my favorite [read: Only] Mountain anywhere near me.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
As fast as I dare

And the last time I did the ol'e max speed check for a record was 58.7mph in the Allegheny National Forest on a 1 mile downhill run on fresh pavement in mid July a few years ago. I went aero tuck and was not pedaling for the bottom half of the hill. At that speed I'm not sure pedaling would have increased me to 60mph...........Just sayin'.........

·
fifth time's a charm
1,796 Posts
Well over 60mph with full Dura-ace. If I would have had a lesser groupset like (gasp) Campy I would have struggled to get over 30........trolling......trolling. :ciappa:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Just over 500MPH, I was sound asleep too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
Well over 50 mph going down a mountain in Georgia. Brasstown Bald to be exact. .
50mph down, 4 mph up. OUCH!

Thats a sweet region for fast downhilling!

Ive done 57mph on another gap in the area...last time I was there, brasstown was too scary to go fast because of the rough pavement - needs a good resurfacing.

Im sure many of us here (incl me) have seen the fastest speeds on a tandem with two fairly strong riders on board.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
rogger said:
Just over 500MPH, I was sound asleep too.
I think I was faster than that on Singapore Airlines. And I was watching a movie at that speed too! :D

Of course I'd like to think someone had brought their bike along with them on board so I could count it as being together with a bike.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
66 (mph) on a 15% drop- in all fairness I was behind a truck and had to sit up or I would have been in the back of it. I regularly hit 50-55mph on that stretch, although my weight loss and my current bike's weight make this more difficult.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
You'd have to ask my first girlfriend.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I've been close to 60 mph on my single, and definitely over 60 on the tandem.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.