Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What's the Fork Up with Specialized?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SantaCruz 
#1 · (Edited)
Specialized has recalled close to twenty-five thousand bikes in the recent past.... All due to fork problems! First, it was with their sister company Globe. Globe, which primarily features the urban models designed by Specialized had problems with aluminum forks that were installed on their Centrum, Sport, City, Vienna, and Elite models. These Globe models were all sold legitimately to unsuspecting consumer cyclists from 2007 until July of 2012.

Next, after bracing from the initial shock of this Specialized Globe fiasco, we then have to suffer another Specialized fork recall. However, this time it's on their 2012 and 2013 Tarmac, Crux, and Secteur models. Upon this recall occasion it's not their aluminum forks which prove to be faulty, but their carbon fiber forks.

I have but one question: What's the fork up with Specialized?

C'mon Specialized! Many of us still love you for your sleek and innovative designs, but please...Let's get it together!

#2 ·
I don't see the issue. There were two reported issues of problems and Specialzed stepped up and immediately recalled the forks for inspection. It was quick and painless to have my fork inspected and Specialized gave me $100 to spend for my inconvenience.

If this had been an American car company they'd have had a room full of actuaries crunching numbers figuring out how many people can die before te costs of the lawsuits make it economically advantageous to issue a recall.

Ignore the whinny little *****es Specialized.... Keep engineering on the edge and be a stand up company and address issues if they occur.

#3 · (Edited)
The issue as I see it, is that QC should have been held at a higher standard so that no production mishaps should have occurred at all. For Tarmac, Crux, and Secteur to have suffered a similar malady with CF forks almost immediately after the first aluminum tragedy seemed to be just a little too close for my comfort. Just because the number of reported injuries is low, does not mitigate the severity of the potential problem.

We should not allow brand loyalty to blind us from the truth. We must all remain observant and ever so vigilant at discerning potential detriment to the cycling community. Had it been your own personal body that had suffered an injury, I'm most certain that being comped a measly hundred bucks, would not have sufficed.

#4 ·
It must be awesome to be a Monday morning engineer. It's pretty easy to sit there and say, "there should never be any issues".

I hate to tell you in the real world there are a phenomenal number of variables that cannot possibly be exhaustively tested.

You do realize we had two space shuttles blow up right? One was caused by STYROFOAM for ****sake. So if NASA with all their money, engineers and testing can't even exhaustively test everything then it's pretty ridiculous to expect a bicycle company to never run into issues. Also keep in mind that issues can be design, materials or manufacturing based across a run of tens of thousands of units.

I'm not brand loyal. Any manufacturer can have issues. As long as they stand behind their product and address them that's all that matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.