Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that you can get an awfully good deal on these bikes, albeit online.

Are they solid bikes or a bit sketchy?

It seems there has to be some reason they aren't mentioned too often here.
 

·
Pedal Master
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
I was considering a Tomasso, Motobecane and Windsor, but ultimatley decided if it sounds too good to be true, it probably was. I neded up with a Trek from my LBS. I just had an issue with vague websites that gave very little information about the product and even less info about the "company" selling them.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Good enough company but you need to be 100% sure the bike is going to fit you. It's a big hassel with any mail order company if the bike doesn't fit and you end up unhappy with it. I usually give the same advice to anyone without a whole lot of experience with roadbikes - try to buy something you can ride beforehand. It's not fool proof but you'll know what you're getting whether it be from a LBS or used bike from some individual.

My experiences have been mixed with mail order bikes. My latest one was actually an MTB and I have been annoyed with some of the geometry on it but didn't want to go with the hassel of returning it. I've known others who have mailordered and been thrilled with their roadbikes. Just depends on what you know I guess.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
476 Posts
price difference

real stonie said:
I was considering a Tomasso, Motobecane and Windsor, but ultimatley decided if it sounds too good to be true, it probably was. I neded up with a Trek from my LBS. I just had an issue with vague websites that gave very little information about the product and even less info about the "company" selling them.

The difference in price between a Tomasso, Motobecane, or Windsor compared to a Trek or Specializedat the Ultegra level can be $1000 -- that is a lot of money to most people. In addition, the internet bikes tend to use more name brand parts - better stems, wheels, etc
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
kikos_ndakwa said:
It seems that you can get an awfully good deal on these bikes, albeit online.

Are they solid bikes or a bit sketchy?

It seems there has to be some reason they aren't mentioned too often here.
Most any of the $1000 or so bikes out there are bound to be very good and serve your needs.

One of the Key players with RScycles posted here a while back and they seem to be a very solid company. I've talked with them on the phone about a MTB but decided not to buy anything at the time. They were very helpful.

If you are pretty confident about size/fit give them a call and talk about their opinion on fit for you.

If you do buy one be sure to give some feed back here after you have 500 miles or so on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Good solid bikes, for a great price. 7055 Aluminum frames.
Shimano Sora or Tiagra or 105 group for the lower cost models.
Alex Aluminum wheels. Carbon fork. Truvativ cranks.

All of the same or comparable components on 'brand' name bikes sold at
the local shops. It is not too good to be true in fact, it is what is;
A good deal, without the lifetime tuneup, shop fitting, and good will
a few shops may have to offer. I believe the money saved on the bike
outweighs the so called perks you may get at the local shop.

But, it is for the would be buyer to decide. If you really want to save
money, and feel comfortable doing the research on fit, and size
and what components come equipped with the different models,
then this is the way to go. For a new comer, it is a great way to
get your feet wet and start cycling without spending a $1000 or more
on an entry level bike. If you are not comfortable buying online,
and have the extra money to spend, then by all means, buy from the local shop.

I have two bikes now, both bought from different online sellers. Both well below
the cost of comparable bicycles. I saved anywhere from $1,500 to $1,650
in total, which...is another complete bike. Buying online or from internet
only bike sellers is not a terrible or wrong, or sketchy thing to do.

If you perform due diligence, and know what you are buying, it can
be an excellent way to get your first, second or back up bike for a
significant amount of savings.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
476 Posts
better to e-mail

Lifelover said:
Most any of the $1000 or so bikes out there are bound to be very good and serve your needs.

One of the Key players with RScycles posted here a while back and they seem to be a very solid company. I've talked with them on the phone about a MTB but decided not to buy anything at the time. They were very helpful.

If you are pretty confident about size/fit give them a call and talk about their opinion on fit for you.

If you do buy one be sure to give some feed back here after you have 500 miles or so on it.
My advise is e-mail them your questions and requests for opinions
that why their answers are in writting and have what we used to call a 'paper trail'

No matter who you talk to on the phone or in a store - they are room comfortable 'spiining' their product beyond the truth than they are in writing

A good way to test this theory, is ask any guy in a store what a bike weighes
then after he answers - ask him to put that in writing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I know a guy that picked up the lower model that was on close out for $399 and free shipping. He didn't have much choice on the color, but the bike is nice. I think it is great for the price.

One would have to spend a lot more than that for the same thing from most LBS.

I wish I would have picked one up for my wife.
Now after saying that, he did not get the correct size that he probably should have. This is mainly because of his lack of research in to what size he really needed. There is also a difference in how some companies measure there frames.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top