Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
What's the secret to tightening the bolts that hold the large chainring on a Raceface crank. I developed a creek in what I believed was the BB. After taking the cranks apart and servicing all bearings and reinstalling all parts to proper torque specs the creek was still there. I believe that the noise is coming from improperly tightened bolts in the large chainring. I am finding it nearly impossible to hold the backside nut with the slotted Park tool. There has to be something that I am doing wrong.
Chain ring nuts have to be the most annoying design that keep hanging on on bikes. Some people have a hard time using the offset/campag style chain ring nut wrenches, myself included, and use a screwdriver/nut driver style instead. I have an old one that I think is from VAR but I don't know if you can get it anymore. There is a nice Tee handle version out, but again, I haven't been able to find one locally or thru distributors. You can probably make a screwdriver style driver yourself with a grinder and big flat blade screwdriver.

If I do use the wrench I usually put it in a vise, hold the crank with one hand and the allen wrench in the other. I have an older Park wrench that I bent specifically for doing this, but I've found it doesn't always work as the axle can sometimes get it the way.

Cyclus makes a couple of really nice chainring tools but every time I've checked with United Bike they are out of stock.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts