Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I was standing in line waiting to pay at the register. The cashier had to step away for a while and came back a moment later asking the woman in front of me "What's half of thirty five?"

but wait, there's more...

the woman in front of me, a fully grown adult with two children, replies "Hold on, I'll tell you" and proceeds to take out her iPhone. :eek6:

:shocked:

with people this incredibly dumb it looks like pyramid schemes are going to be around for a while

Reactions: CBus660R

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I just, just kinda stood there...
I wasn't phased by the cashier asking, but the woman with the kids not being able to answer that's crazy.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
To supplement with positive knowledge.... The multiplication product of two numbers separated by a middle number is the product of the middle number -1. So for example 7x9 is 8x8-1 or 63, and 39x41 is 1599.

I didn't learn about this and other math tricks until later in life, they really should teach them in middle school.

Reactions: 9W9W

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I would have just said the answer to save time.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Just convert 35 to binary and divide by 10.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
No I just, just kinda stood there...
I wasn't phased by the cashier asking, but the woman with the kids not being able to answer that's crazy.
Obviously you don't have kids.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
This is how they teach math at the schools where I live...

A few years ago, I was helping the kid out when she was having some trouble with her math homework. She whipped out a bunch of papers with carp along the lines of the above on them and I said "wtf is that?" She informed me that it was math. I asked her why they were making it needlessly complicated then showed her how I was taught to do it. It was much easier for her to understand, so that's what she did. She got a comment from the teacher on her papers asking why she didn't do the work properly. It surprised me for about 12 seconds and then I remembered that I'm dealing with an education system that doesn't grade on spelling unless it's a spelling-specific assignment.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
This is how they teach math at the schools where I live...

A few years ago, I was helping the kid out when she was having some trouble with her math homework. She whipped out a bunch of papers with carp along the lines of the above on them and I said "wtf is that?" She informed me that it was math. I asked her why they were making it needlessly complicated then showed her how I was taught to do it. It was much easier for her to understand, so that's what she did. She got a comment from the teacher on her papers asking why she didn't do the work properly. It surprised me for about 12 seconds and then I remembered that I'm dealing with an education system that doesn't grade on spelling unless it's a spelling-specific assignment.
Admittedly I am still half asleep (new puppy almost as bad as having kids), but I went from thinking that was some sort of parody to finally 'understanding' the idiot-logic. I teach for a living, albeit at the University level. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why this would be considered a good way to teach math. WTF?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts