Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
RyanM said:
I'm thinking of selling my 2008 Madone 4.5 size 56. I need a smaller bike (54). Bike is in perfect condition with less than 500 miles on it.
Paid just over $2k for it new. What do you think I should ask for it?
thanks
Not nearly enough to cover the cost differential of a refit with a shorter stem and trying different bars.

Before you sell a nearly new 2 year old bike that you will be lucky* to get 75% of your cost back, have you considered getting a fitting? 2 cm is easy to fix with how the bike is outfit, especially if going from a 56 to a 54. (*and I mean very lucky)

As to your specific question, not enough information to answer...pics would help, plus condition of consumables (tires, cables, chain, cassette) and what else are you selling with the bike: saddle, pedals, etc.

ebay or craigslist are good places to find comparable prices too.

And lastly don't forget that some of your initial cost for the Trek is due to its lifetime frame warranty. This warranty is not transferrable, and so, at least to me, makes Treks somewhat undesirable for 3rd party private sales, unless the price is really good (ie low).

HTH
zac

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Well seeing as used 5 and 6 series Madones from 2008 - 2010 are selling under 2k (US) and I saw a 2010 4.5 for ~$1300 (asking) I doubt you would get much more than 1k. But you never know until you put it up for sale. (Willing seller-willing buyer)

Hell, my LTD has a brand new '09 4.5 for 1800, that'll most likely sell lower.

Do some searching around the web, especially in your area. Ask at your LBS or LTD, they may have some suggestions to maximize your sale potential to more buyers (especially if you are looking at buying new from them).

zac

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Other things that effect price:
-are the rings standard double, compact or triple. (I guess most likely compact or triple)*
-Color

Don't forget, I think your year comes with mostly Shimano 105 in the 5600 style, and starting with the 2010+ 4.5s you get the newer 5700 105. That is a big deal for some, and makes the newer models more desirable.

*for the life of me I cannot understand why Trek doesn't offer the 4 series with a standard double, other than a special request. For me this is an ideal race bike that I wouldn't cry over if I crashed it. Decent carbon frame and full 105...nice combo. Just dump the compact! This again detracts from value. Not too many guys are going to be looking for a second pit bike or race bike for low $ if they have to spend another $300 to get a decent crankset on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.