Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people have a bone that sticks out of the side of their leg, right under your kneecap sorta area.

I get a pain right in that area if i'm really pushing hard, or going up a hill. It doesnt' affect cadence or anything, it's nagging, nothing more.

but, to avoid it turning into an injury, any ideas what to check out? it's only in my right leg, left leg is fine in the same situations that makes the right leg bone sore.

the IT band is higher up, and on the side of the knee, this bone is lower than that area, which makes me rule out IT problems pretty much.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Provided you're pedaling properly with legs and feet aligned, you might want to try and move the cleat of the offending leg slightly inward, resulting in your foot being slightly more ******d. This generally removes some of the outside pressure and locates it more to the inside. Make very small adjustments. Sometimes 1mm is already plenty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that bone that sticks out

I have the same affliction with the same symptoms as you describe. Several weeks ago I went to see my Dr. about it and he scheduled me for an MRI. Turns out it is a lateral meniscus tear, (very common). I'm scheduled for outpatient surgery in a couple weeks. Dr. tells me after surgery it's crutches for one day, light activity for ten days, (almost) good as new after three weeks. I'm glad i'm doing this now instead of mid-season.
You may want to consider this..

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
From what you describe, I'm thinking meniscus. You might have tweaked it a little. Get your bike fit checked. Pedal higher cadence. See a doctor if it persists.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.