Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this "sheath" is called? The one guiding the front gear wire from out inside the bottom bracket area. I noticed (when changing the wire) that it's a bit chewed. Trying to buy a replacement but my googling is failing me.
TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
First, it's a cable, not a wire. A wire is used for electronic shifting, a cable is for mechanical shifting. The part in question is a shift cable boot or sleeve.

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
I don't know that it has a standard name. It's specific to your bike.
Most likely called a 'sheath'. Or 'cable liner'.

What's the make, model, and year of your bike? There might be parts manuals that call it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I just checked and my wife's bike has something very similar but clearly not identical.

It's a Cube Attain GTC SL 2021. I've fired off an email to Cube to ask them as I can't find it listed in spare parts or in the manual.
FYI it's this exact bike - Attain GTC SL Road Bike (2021)

I have searched for both cable and wire, just in case...

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
How many miles you got on that chain, the chainring is looking iffy. I still think he's got a fender on it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It doesn't look all that bad from the photo. The main purpose of it is to keep moisture out of the BB. If needed, trim few mm off the end, then put some silicon grease on the cable and run it through. Just be sure to wipe the expose cable clean or it becomes a crap magnet.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,549 Posts
I'm pretty sure the part the OP is talking about was installed backwards. The liner should be going into the frame, the little accordion-like part should be the upper end. It won't keep dirt out the way it's installed now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't these come with the Shimano cable set?

(I know it was included with my 6800 box way back when)

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,924 Posts
It's called a dust boot. One end (the thicker end) should seal against the frame and keep dirt from getting in. It looks like yours either slipped out or is broken. Campy includes a similar piece for the rear derailleur, see images 6-8 here:

On a road bike they are generally unecessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts