Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What's under those bibs?!?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Bad Link 
#1 ·
So my wife has been very supportive of my riding and she doesn't flinch when I get another bike or spend more time on the weekend riding than I should. But there is one thing that she absolutely will not deal with (I am on her side with this one).
See-through material in bibs/ shorts. I know most of you know what I am talking about. I don't mean see-through like clear but that material in bibs where you can partially see skin underneath. I am not a large rider by any means. I am 5'10" and I weigh 158. I went to my LBS the other day and they had a sale on the CSC team kit. So I figured why not. I tried it on and picked it up and went home that night. My wife wanted to see the kit on so I put it on and the first thing she said was "Ohhh hell no!" Then pointed out to me that the inner thigh and the material that went around the butt were somewhat see-through.

Needless to say I am now returning the bibs, I dig the jersey though! But I gernerally ride Castelli Kiss bibs and they are solid black. But now that my wife has pointed it out to me I can't believe how many riders I see with this super thin material in their gear. I mean I am with the rest of you, I understand that most people already think we are wierd for wearing what we do when we ride but see-through bibs is pushing even my limits. Is there a reason for the tissue thin material?

See less See more
#2 ·
You can buy heavier weight fabrics. Some shorts advertise that they're made of 6 oz fabric, some're made of 8 oz fabric. Obviously, the heavier the fabric, the more opaque they are. As a swimmer, I can tell you that darker colors (and dark patterns) are less transparent, especially when wet, and darker colors hide unsightly bulges.

I have an easier solution, though. Get over your modesty. Unless the dudes in your paceline complain about plumber's crack, does it really matter? Nope.

#3 ·
I was riding in a group this morning, we formed somewhat of a pace line and the next thing I know I am looking directly at a bare A$$. It took me off gaurd for a minute ( I am a newbie and this was the first bare A$$ I have seen riding) But then I just put it out of my mind.

His shorts were older and worn down a bit, So I had to go home and check my shorts to see what they looked like. They are all good, (Mostly Performance Bibs)

My guess is this guy does not know he is showing his entire A$$ to anyone riding behind him.

Would you say Something?

#4 ·
Does it really bother you?

As lomg as my arse isnt't hanging out.
Our team bibs are Garneau and are red. Has a thin layer down sides and across butt, where sponsers logos are placed. When wet does become a little transparent, but I really dont care, and have never met anyone at a race who does. Heck, I have seen plenty of naked butts hanging out of towels or out of the back of a truck, or behind a door.
Dont be so modest and just ride!!

#5 ·
All my bibs and shorts are black. I also buy ones with the heavier fabric. They last longer that way.

#6 ·
I love the "just ride" responses. I am not talking about not riding because of it. I am just bringing up the fact that what is the point of such see-through material? Is it a breathability issue? My Castelli bibs breathe just fine and they are black without the see-through.

#7 ·
The lighter colors of the team shorts are for style and advertising purposes. The team sponsors want to maximize the number of ads that the riders are showing.

#8 ·
All your parts are covered by the pad, and when the black fabric is against your skin, what's showing through?

I guess I'm having a hard time thinking of bibs as being "see-through." Sure, if you pull the fabric away from your skin, they're not completely opaque. But it's not like you can actually "see" anything through them. I read this the first time wearing my Nalinis and stuck my hand under the fabric along my leg. Yea, you can tell it's a hand under there, but it isn't like you're seeing flesh. You're seeing a shape. The more I think about it, the less I understand how it's a problem. Must come under the heading of "to each his own."

#9 ·
I did some thinking about this, btw yeah life is pretty good when you have time to dwell on stupid things like this. That is one thing I am fully aware of!!!
The main issue I think brought this whole "problem" up is seeing guys with old gear on and the thinner material is way past its prime. I have been riding with guys in my local club ride where you can actually see their butt crack because of the material. I don't mean shapes and shadows, I mean it seems see-through. I don't care of you are racing or riding around the block, I can't see how that is something to "just get over and go ride".

By the way, thanks for responding to my slight rant!

#10 ·
Once . . .

When I bought my first pair of bib shorts I wore them exclusively for years. Then one day during a club ride a female rider pulled up along side me and said my shorts had a giant thin spot and my butt crack was clearly visible (we were riding in a pace line). Embarrassed, I thanked her and rode OTB for the rest of the ride.

It's hard to tell if your black shorts (or bibs) are thinning out after you wash them. Now I gently stretch my shorts while holding them up against a light.

Question: What would you do if you saw a female rider with cycling shorts so threadbare you can actually see the lace pattern on her thong panties and/or tattoo? Would you (male) ask a fellow female cyclist to tell her or enjoy the view?

#11 ·
JaeP said:
Question: What would you do if you saw a female rider with cycling shorts so threadbare you can actually see the lace pattern on her thong panties and/or tattoo? Would you (male) ask a fellow female cyclist to tell her or enjoy the view?
There arent any female cylists in our group. I guess you'd have to enjoy the view. :p
Somehow I think the paceline would always be with her at the front :eek:
-estone2

#12 ·
c0braje7 said:
I did some thinking about this, btw yeah life is pretty good when you have time to dwell on stupid things like this. That is one thing I am fully aware of!!!
The main issue I think brought this whole "problem" up is seeing guys with old gear on and the thinner material is way past its prime. I have been riding with guys in my local club ride where you can actually see their butt crack because of the material. I don't mean shapes and shadows, I mean it seems see-through. I don't care of you are racing or riding around the block, I can't see how that is something to "just get over and go ride".

By the way, thanks for responding to my slight rant!
I dont care if that bothers somebody else if i had that stuff on but i have really noticed that for myslef or any other riders but i just dont check them out as much as others do i guess.

#13 ·
JaeP said:
Would you (male) ask a fellow female cyclist to tell her or enjoy the view?
I was in a Triathlon where a girl I came up on in the bike leg was wearing a swimsuit that was CLEARLY past it's prime. Even though I was faster than her, I slowed my pace for a little while. After about a min or less, I just went back to riding my pace and passed her. It's just a butt crack after all.

PS. If you but a larger size (one that actually fits) the material won't stretch as much and won't be as see-through.

#15 ·
I just got my new Saunier Duval bibs and noticed that the bright yellow is quite see through...I picked up a set of Trek undershorts to make sure the world isn't checking out the goods. We have many female riders in our group and the number one joke is to tell them that we can see their butt cracks....always brings a laugh....

Flash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.