Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching todays TT coverage, and OLN ended their show without even mentioning the final results or overall standings. How bad can they get?

· I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
Well, you know, they had to get in 10 minutes of their boating show before they resume the taped tour coverage at noon.....they don't want to alienate their key water sports audience by making them sit through wall to wall TDF. :rolleyes:

Either that or they're leaving the unvieling of the final results for the prime time show so Al gets all the glory.

· Darling of The Lounge
5,354 Posts
An Old Fart Remembers

piano said:
I just finished watching todays TT coverage, and OLN ended their show without even mentioning the final results or overall standings. How bad can they get?
How bad can it get?

Try watching a week’s worth of watered down Tour de France coverage relegated to a 30 minute spot on CBS Wide World of Sports on Sunday, with commentary by Brent Musburger, who makes Al Trautwig look like a hybrid of Paul Sherwin and Phil Ligget.

I for one are grateful for the coverage that OLN's providing given the obscurity of this sport to the American viewing audience. And whose total number may barely fill World Cup a soccer stadium.

Rant Over!

· I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
How bad can it get?

Try watching a week’s worth of watered down Tour de France coverage relegated to a 30 minute spot on CBS Wide World of Sports on Sunday, with commentary by Brent Musburger
And that coverage consisted mainly of faraway shots of the peleton taken from a sunflower field with John Tesch musak playing in the background, visits to WWII battlefields that happen to be on the Tour course, and a 5 second blip of each stage that ended in a field sprint.
And did you notice that every rider they focused on was romanticized as "the son of a farmer" or "the son of a railway worker"...as if they had to give the public a poor-boy-done-good backstory to get anyone to care about the race.:Yawn:
No siree....don't want to go back to that, I'll take OLN's coverage any day! (I just wish they wouldn't forget to put the current GC up on the screen before they sign off!)

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Mocat4 said:
And that coverage consisted mainly of faraway shots of the peleton taken from a sunflower field with John Tesch musak playing in the background, visits to WWII battlefields that happen to be on the Tour course, and a 5 second blip of each stage that ended in a field sprint.
And did you notice that every rider they focused on was romanticized as "the son of a farmer" or "the son of a railway worker"...as if they had to give the public a poor-boy-done-good backstory to get anyone to care about the race.:Yawn:

I could care less if OLN gives up the Tour. Cyclingtv.com will pick it up. But you can not blame OLN for the footage of the Tour that is shown. This comes from the host broadcaster in France. You can blame them for all the pre-produced pieces if you like :)
I just tape it, fast forward thru most of the the early stuff, and then watch the finale when they're not chopping it up so bad.

· confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
Shockee said:
But I just watched the taped version (aired 3 hrs later) - still no standings posted. I can get the results fine on cyclingnews, but I like to have them on my Tour tapes for winter training.
get a video camera, get a tripod, get a desk, sit behind it and read off the results doing your best anchorman impression. then splice onto tape. its fun, its interesting, its you. :thumbsup:

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
I did notice that. No GC standings.

What I can't stand is the terribly obnoxious OLN 'self' commercial hyping what a great network they are... tdf, hockey, pbr, sailing.

It's awfully loud with that styx(?) music and the show it about 34 times a day. What I reaaally car about is what other cycling coverage they're showing after the TDF.

fc

· Registered
495 Posts
OneGear said:
get a video camera, get a tripod, get a desk, sit behind it and read off the results doing your best anchorman impression. then splice onto tape. its fun, its interesting, its you. :thumbsup:

Nice... I needed that laugh. You gotta love that visual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.