Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on with the nine gear freewheels? Some bikes come with 3 crank gears and 9 freewheel gears. Uh, who is using 27 gears? I use 6. Five on back and I shift to the big crank in top freewheel gear sometimes. I could see nine gears if there was only one crank gear maybe.

With all the consciousness aimed at saving weight, why are they putting 9 gears on a bike plus adding weight to the frame to support them?

Waz up wid dat?

·
Registered
64 Posts
To smooth out cadence over the power range. If you pedal on a classic "ten speed" you're going to have a lot bigger jump of your revolutions than if you could have essentially a gear inbetween.

My bike's got 10 in the back btw.

And in relation to weight, the weight of a few extra gears is nearly negligible because it's so close to the axis of rotation, creating very little rotational inertia in relation to the rest of the wheel.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
It's so sad, Tom

I know this will come as a terrible shock, Tom, but many have 10 now, and some will have 11 in a year or two. I don't know what the world is coming to. Many of us Luddites ride single-speed fixed-gear bikes much of the time, just to retain a little spiritual purity.

Go now, and troll in peace.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Is someone making 9 "gear" freewheels now????
Hot damn!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
djh2 said:
To smooth out cadence over the power range. If you pedal on a classic "ten speed" you're going to have a lot bigger jump of your revolutions than if you could have essentially a gear inbetween.
You must have to be a finely tuned athlete on nice smooth roads to want to have such a smooth cadence. I find when I'm hauling my 270 lb frame around the extensively potholed and broken streets of the hills of Brooklyn (I live near the highest point), I usually want to feel a substantial difference when I change gears. I'd have to be changing gears twice as often with a 10 gear freewheel I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.