Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always had one pop-up when searching the forum. Now i get one per topic. Not only annoying but makes the site close to unusable. it doesn't make me more interested i the ad, but makes me adamant that I would never do business with the ad sponsor. Is this a bug or a feature? If the former please fix it.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Chain Reaction popup every time I click on a topic. Please stop it, I'm beginning to despise Chain Reaction.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried on another computer. same thing. someone in marketing really screwed up if they think this is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Boycott Chain Reaction until it's fixed

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
Gosh, I have never heard of this "pop-up" of which you speak. It sounds horrible! I bet if this keeps on, the internet will be full of such things. Someone should do something about this before it gets out of hand!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh, I have never heard of this "pop-up" of which you speak. It sounds horrible! I bet if this keeps on, the internet will be full of such things. Someone should do something about this before it gets out of hand!
lots of sites have pop-ups. but they don't repeat at every page. Great way to make a site non-sticky. Not a good way to generate sales or viewer hits.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
What are "pop-ups"? Does lynx support those?
It seems using a text-only browswer has some advantages :)

I prefer links, better ssl and page support :) and sometimes works with moused on the console..

And yes, I am getting the stupid popup for CRC. My guess is that it is not the site itself, rather the ad service the site is using. Also a good way to spread malware when you compromise an ad provider :)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Adblocker will block it (gasp).

Although some sites now block entry when you have ad blockers running. So, I don't go to those sites.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Always had one pop-up when searching the forum. Now i get one per topic. Not only annoying but makes the site close to unusable. it doesn't make me more interested i the ad, but makes me adamant that I would never do business with the ad sponsor. Is this a bug or a feature? If the former please fix it.
I've just been clicking on them. So far I've spent $1500 dollars at Chain Reaction since 9am. What a convenience

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I installed AdBlock for Internet Explorer and uBlock for Firefox (no longer supported by AdBlock). Very effective.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I started using Ad-Block not because I'm against seeing ads. but because they interfered with reading the content here. I still get a few that are built into the forum page, but the obnoxious ones are gone.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
You mean people sell ads to maintain the site and perhaps, gasp, make a living?
Which is why I set things up to allow some ads through. But persistent pop up ads, those IPs get permanuked. Not just here, but everywhere I go online.

I am also more likely to use an amazon or other link from a site I visit often, so they get a cut. I do my part to feed the hamsters beyond passively ignoring the perimeter spam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts