Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 2 times I flew, it was difficult. Long lines, weak or non-existent service before (and when I flew internationally) during the flight.

I even read that the captain puts the "fasten your seatbelts, remain in your seat" to control the passengers. It was on almost the whole flight.

And domestic prices aren't cheap for airlines like United, Delta.

But there are carriers which are much cheaper. So what are we paying for?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
steel515 said:
So what are we paying for?
Long lines. Poor service. Intrusive 'security measures'. No room. A 1oz. bag or Rold Gold pretzels for a snack. And hours upon hours of warnings from the mistress of h*ll who speaks through the PA in O'Hare spouting security warnings.

PS-and the neon-lit moving walkways "which are now ending"

Did I miss anything?

(I say a few sleepy hours for our sleepy-eyed flinty-eyed mods to bump this to PO)

PPS-I'm the guy on the plane who brings his 75cent 24oz bag of pretzels out when the stewardess comes buy with 'snacks' ;) :D:rolleyes:

PPPS-the best domestic carrier left is Midwest Express (not cheap though)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
steel515 said:
The last 2 times I flew, it was difficult. Long lines, weak or non-existent service before (and when I flew internationally) during the flight.

I even read that the captain puts the "fasten your seatbelts, remain in your seat" to control the passengers. It was on almost the whole flight.

I fly pretty frequently up and down the east coast. I've been on the road all month so far and on at least 8 flights. Mostly, I fly Spirit and Southwest and I've never had any problems other than late departures.

What I've learned:

- Never go to the ticket counter unless you MUST. Use online check-in or kiosks whenever they're available and pack so you don't have to check a bag. Bring a "big" carry-on to the gate and let them throw it in the trunk if need be -- your bag will be one of the first off the plane if this happens.

- You're going through security. Wear shoes that are easy to get off and on, put everything that is going to set off the metal detector in your carry-on bag, take your coat off, etc. Pay attention to the people who are prepping as they walk into the security queue and do what they're doing. You'll be surprise how fast you get through.

- If you book one way flights on short notice you WILL be searched. It's an almost 99% certainty.

- I've found zero added value/service in flying "full service" carriers like United or American. They ARE much more expensive, however.

- The seatbelt sign usually stays lit so that you don't break your neck if you hit unexpected turbulence. You're still allowed to get out of your seat unless they tell you not to but wandering around the cabin is a sure fire way to draw unwanted attention, if you know what I mean.

As for price, I usually pay the $40 for the Spirit Plus upgrade and my typical airfare to Fort Lauderdale is still way less than what I pay Hertz for my car and Southwest is always dirt cheap.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Room 1201 said:
PS-and the neon-lit moving walkways "which are now ending"
I actually had a dream about the one in Reagan's Terminal A once.... it keeps repeating in a female voice:

"CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending."

And just as the doppler shift takes you out of range......

"CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending."

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
KenB said:
I actually had a dream about the one in Reagan's Terminal A once.... it keeps repeating in a female voice:

"CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending. CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending."

And just as the doppler shift takes you out of range......

"CAUTION! The moving walkway is ending."
DAMMMMIT KEN-Now My **BRAAIIINNN** HuurrtSS...mY [email protected] hUrrrTs..."

..would that Dr. BBS was here..or maybe jbrumm can drop by...

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I agree with everything Ken said and add that you dont have to fly the full service airlines to use their private clubs/lounges. Amex platinum gets you into all of them. If you travel often that alone can justify the $395 annual fee.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
KenB said:
- I've found zero added value/service in flying "full service" carriers like United or American. They ARE much more expensive, however.

United's advantage is geared more to frequent fliers. As a 1K member I get priority check in, if I don't do on-line easy check in, and priority boarding and seating. Six hours before a flight I am guaranteed at least an economy seat reservation on even a sold out flight. I also get lots of complimentary upgrades to first and lots of bonus miles. With the Star Alliance program my trips outside the country on a number of other airlines also come with my United benefits. If you travel a lot it really helps to stay with an airline that rewards that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
steel515 said:

You are paying for a seat that safely travels from point "A" to point "B".

You are paying for a huge, multi-headed, and wildly inefficient security system.

You are paying facility charges for your origination and destination airports.

You are paying "sin" taxes (higher than cig's or booze!) for the privilege of using the safest, most efficient air transportation system in the world.

The captain does not "turn on the seatbelt sign to control passengers". He turns it on when there is even the SLIGHTEST chance that turbulence may occur. Why you ask? Because the frivilous lawsuits filed by idiots who refuse to respect the seatbelt sign costs airlines 10's of millions of dollars a year. They bump their heads and sue us. We turn it on to cover our A#$ES.

Service is another question entirely. Everyone wants to fly for next to nothing ($$$), and they expect the red carpet treatment. They think the $159.00 round trip fair they paid to travel from LA to NYC should entitle them to a meal, free drinks, and a massage. It no longer works that way. My industry is being "walmartized" just like most other industries in the United States. There simply is no way to make a profit as a "full service" air carrier anymore. Witness the Bankruptcy filings now in progress, and if we move on Iran in the near future (oil prices going UP), the entire industry will be in bankruptcy protection.

And before anyone quotes to me about how successful Southwest Airlines is, understand that without their fuel hedging program they would not have shown a profit in 05. Their hedges expire in 07-08, and they will be in the same boat as everyone else.

We know you have a choice in bankrupt airlines, and we thank you for choosing ours for your travel plans and we hope to see you again soon!

-Scott
Airbus A320 First Officer
:D

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Think of it as a giant winged bus and you'll be OK

I go back to the days when service was a big reason people chose an airline (that and the mini-skirted stewardesses), when air travel was sort of a novelty and people tended to dress up for it (I'm only talking mid-'70s, not 1934). I once rode from Los Angeles to Atlanta on a DC-10, I think it was, with four other passengers. The plane was scheduled to go, we'd paid for our tickets and we went. They moved us all up to first class to make it easier on the crew and we lolled in luxury for four hours.
These days, though, I'm happy if the thing just leaves near the scheduled time and gets to the right airport. It's five hours out of my life--I don't have to eat the lousy food or drink the brackish coffee, and it will be over soon enough. But I COULD use another couple of inches of knee room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts