Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll get to the point:

Velomax/Shimano rear wheel

1. Took off rear wheel
2. Sprayed nasty cogset with orange citrus degreaser
3. Let wheel set for 2 minutes or so
4. Scrubbed and cleaned. Rinsed with slow stream of water.

I put it back on the bike and it sounds like metal-on-metal when I turn the cranks. Degreaser seeped into the bearings? Thats all I can come up with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like that and maybe even some dirt . You may need to repack your bearings .

bill105 said:
I'll get to the point:

1. Took off rear wheel

I put it back on the bike and it sounds like metal-on-metal when I turn the cranks. Degreaser seeped into the bearings? Thats all I can come up with.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Next time, remove the cassette before you degrease it.

I usually pull my cassette, put a zip-tie thru it to hold everything together, and soak it in some kind of cleaner / degreaser for a while.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Here you go, hot off the press. The pedal in question is a Shimano Ultegra pedal, either 2004 or 2005 model. It used to be shiny chrome like the crank. The diluted Simple Green (50/50 with water) stripped it clean of chrome and graphics. I had an SRAM chain in soaking at the same time, and it came out just like that. I pitched it though. No need to take a chance.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
terminology

Einstruzende said:
Here you go, hot off the press. The pedal in question is a Shimano Ultegra pedal, either 2004 or 2005 model. It used to be shiny chrome like the crank. The diluted Simple Green (50/50 with water) stripped it clean of chrome and graphics. I had an SRAM chain in soaking at the same time, and it came out just like that. I pitched it though. No need to take a chance.
Just a quibble here, but none of that is "chrome," a term that refers to chromium plating applied to steel. Those parts are made of aluminum. They were polished, and maybe clear-coated to keep their shine, and the Simple Green stripped off any coating and oxidized the exposed aluminum, leaving that ugly mess. Real chrome is very corrosion-resistant.

Incidentally, you can improve it somewhat by using a metal polish like Simichrome. Won't look brand new, but you'll get some shine back.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Do I?

Einstruzende said:

Do I see a Cycles de Oro sticker on your chain stay?

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
bill105 said:
I'll get to the point:

1. Took off rear wheel

Degreasing is for people who don't have TV programs to watch. Just take a rag or some paper towels or a thousand yards of toilet paper and wipe. Seriously, it's like your a$$ just lube and rub as you go and you'll be fine. Simple Green is for ninnys and well paid bike mechanics. (if there is such a thing)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I did the same thing with the orange degreaser on a Ultegra rear derailleur.
What a doofus? Now the damn thing's khaki. Live and learn.

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Einstruzende said:

That wasn't Simple Green, but a chemical reaction b/t Shimano and Campy metals. We see who won that fight.:D

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Anyone ever had issues with a much weaker simple green dilution? I use about 10:1 water:simple green sprayed on then rinsed off after a summer ride to get the sweat/powerbar endurance drink off of my frame.
It spite of my experience above, I still use simple green, completely undiluted no less. I just spray and let it sit no more than 2 or 3 minutes, then wipe and rinse. I've been doing is for 5 seasons now, and the only issue I've ever had has been the one time I let it soak 30 minutes (maybe it was more).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.