Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trying to return....
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in the upstate of SC and am a cyclist, all's good right?

Wrong!

What is wrong with cyclists in the upstate, they're the most unfriendly, discourteous lot of cyclists I've come across and I've cycled all over the planet. Both when I've been in the car and been out cycling.

Prime example:

I'm driving down the road today and spot two cyclists ahead riding side-by-side (for reference, 2 middle aged guys with all 'the gear'). As I approach the guy on the left drops back behind the left hand guy. To pass them I slow down and ease over to straddle the double-yellow line and leave an easy 2 bike widths between them and me.
As I pull away I glance back and they're both flipping me off!

I slow back down and roll the window down, and shout back what's wrong. The guy comes up and tells me that I didn't leave them enough room!

I respond that I'm a cyclist too and thought I had allowed plenty of room, he told me he thought I was a useless cyclist and should stop cycling. He then noticed my 'Share the Road' plates on my car and berated me for that too.

With that kind of aggression shown towards motorists, it's no wonder people aren't tolerant of cyclists on the road any more!

Not only that, but I seldom see a greeting returned when I see other cyclists when out riding on my own.

As for the 'share the road' thing - I've always seen that as a two-way street. Cyclists and Motorists both have to give each other space!

So, Upstate folks, what's the issue?
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
So I live in the upstate of SC and am a cyclist, all's good right?

Wrong!

What is wrong with cyclists in the upstate, they're the most unfriendly, discourteous lot of cyclists I've come across and I've cycled all over the planet. Both when I've been in the car and been out cycling.

Prime example:

I'm driving down the road today and spot two cyclists ahead riding side-by-side (for reference, 2 middle aged guys with all 'the gear'). As I approach the guy on the left drops back behind the left hand guy. To pass them I slow down and ease over to straddle the double-yellow line and leave an easy 2 bike widths between them and me.
As I pull away I glance back and they're both flipping me off!

I slow back down and roll the window down, and shout back what's wrong. The guy comes up and tells me that I didn't leave them enough room!

I respond that I'm a cyclist too and thought I had allowed plenty of room, he told me he thought I was a useless cyclist and should stop cycling. He then noticed my 'Share the Road' plates on my car and berated me for that too.

With that kind of aggression shown towards motorists, it's no wonder people aren't tolerant of cyclists on the road any more!

Not only that, but I seldom see a greeting returned when I see other cyclists when out riding on my own.

As for the 'share the road' thing - I've always seen that as a two-way street. Cyclists and Motorists both have to give each other space!

So, Upstate folks, what's the issue?
seems like you might have a few issues of your own.

just sayin'
 

·
Trying to return....
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see how you come to that conclusion?

I made the age reference so nobody turned around and said 'yeah, young punks have no manners'.

As for mentioning greeting - where I grew up cycling, we all shared a wave on the road as a courtesy. Does the average American cyclist not care to see others out sharing their insterest?
 

·
Stumpcake!
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
I'm driving down the road today and spot two cyclists ahead riding side-by-side (for reference, 2 middle aged guys with all 'the gear'). As I approach the guy on the left drops back behind the left hand guy. To pass them I slow down and ease over to straddle the double-yellow line and leave an easy 2 bike widths between them and me.
I'm not trying to jump to any conclusions but two bike widths is inside the the required 3 feet of clearance required by law in a lot of states (2 x 42cm handlebars is about 33 inches). I mean, c'mon, they were being courteous in the fact that they dropped to single file for you. And keep in mind many states allow cyclists to ride two abreast so they really didn't have to do this...of coarse it depends your state's laws. They were prolly miffed that they made space for you to pass and then in turn felt squeezed when you passed them. When I'm in the car I give cyclists the whole lane if I can safely do so. If I can't pass without it being close I will wait to get by. I know what it's like to be buzzed or feel threaten by a close pass despite whatever the true intentions of the driver may be.

As far as the other cyclists not being friendly...well...I can't really speak for that. There was thread in the general section that dealt with that. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=131966 I think it's not particularly helpful to make general statements about any group of people.

/Ooops! I'm not in the upstate! Am I disallowed to reply? :D :D

//Edited for my crappy spelling.
 

·
Trying to return....
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tconrady said:
I'm not trying to jump to any conclusions but two bike widths is inside the the required 3 feet of clearance required by law in a lot of states (2 x 42cm handlebars is about 33 inches). I mean, c'mon, they were being courteous in the fact that they dropped to single file for you. And keep in mind many states allow cyclists to ride two abreast so they really didn't have to do this...of coarse it depends your state's laws. They were prolly miffed that they made space for you to pass and then in turn felt squeezed when you passed them. When I'm in the car I give cyclists the whole lane if I can safely do so. If I can't pass without it being close I will wait to get by. I know what it's like to be buzzed or feel threaten by a close pass despite whatever the true intentions of the driver may be.

As far as the other cyclists not being friendly...well...I can't really speak for that. There was thread in the general section that dealt with that. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=131966 I think it's not particularly helpful to make general statements about any group of people.

/Ooops! I'm not in the upstate! Am I disallowed to reply? :D :D

//Edited for my crappy spelling.
Maybe I am misreading your post?
You're saying my giving them 2 bike widths is sufficient?

Personally, if you think being passed by a car with this margin is too close, you probably shouldn't be on public roads.

I've been clipped by cars from behind so I know what it's like to be passed by too closely (try taking a wing mirror to the bar when riding with the wind at 40mph) - that's why I don't understand the aggression these guys displayed and what prompted me to post here.
 

·
Stumpcake!
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
Maybe I am misreading your post?
You're saying my giving them 2 bike widths is sufficient?

Personally, if you think being passed by a car with this margin is too close, you probably shouldn't be on public roads.

I've been clipped by cars from behind so I know what it's like to be passed by too closely (try taking a wing mirror to the bar when riding with the wind at 40mph) - that's why I don't understand the aggression these guys displayed and what prompted me to post here.
I think two bike widths is not enough room when passing. In some cases this falls under the legal amount of room to be given to cyclists. I think if a driver isn't following the legal limits then they shouldn't be driving or at the very least should be ticketed. Safe driving is a civic responsibility for all drivers...no matter what you've experienced before or has been inflicted upon you previously while riding your bike.

Look, I wasn't there and I'm only hearing one side of the incident. However, I believe what should be reflected on is why/how did these cyclists go from being courteous and dropping to single file for you to becoming aggresive and beligerent? Obviously for whatever reason they felt provoked. Why was that? According to your depiction above the only event that occurred between them falling into a single file line for you and them becoming aggressive was you passing them. Was that the reason? You posted in your original post that is indeed the reason because the cyclists told you that. It's the same reason I told you in my post...You were infringing on their space. You mention cycling all over the world....does every country have the same laws and regulations? They don't. Perhaps in another country your pass would have been fine. It seems that's not the case here.

Your original post reminds me of something my grandfather used to tell me. "If you think that there is something wrong with everyone else maybe the problem doesn't lie with them." I'll grant you that they were overly aggresive with you when you slowed to talk to them. But why when they told you that you didn't leave them enough space didn't you apologize and move on? Instead you argued your point that you thought they did have enough space....and of coarse you know this because you're a cyclist too....causing the situation to escalate. Not a good move IMO. You had already provoked them and nothing you could say would allay that for them. Instead of taking a negative situation and turning it into something positive, it became something far worse by your actions. Perhaps they think that all other upstate riders are rude based on their experience with you. You did nothing to dissuade that possibility.

Hey, I could be totally wrong and every other cyclist in the upstate is truely a total wanker. However, I have a hard time believing that would possibly be the case. The law of averages seems to indicate otherwise. Perhaps you have too small a sample group and/or too large a generalization in this thread. Or maybe there is another common denominator here that you're not addressing.

I'm just sayin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Yeah, I got that feeling too

Here in Columbia I think there are more cyclists out for the sake of cycling. Not "training" or exercising, but just having fun. However, I've seen some pretty rude cyclist in the upstate (hey, we all have them), esp. when you get slightly north of Greenville. Been flipped off a couple times only to have the very same cyclists disregard any road laws.

On a side note, "The Man" is putting bike lanes on most of the widened roads down here (seen the new dam?). Motorists can pass within inches of me. But the middle finger is for those that honk to scare you. It gets me every time...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top