Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a post-ride experience on the other section.

Can you see what's wrong with this bike from the picture?

When I got to the park and I have to head back out to grab something... then our friend came and help my wife to install the front wheel.

Because of this.. my wife nearly got into an accident from the small drop on the trail path.

View attachment 282423

·
Registered
879 Posts
Oh, and by the way: your wife, being an adult, is responsible for her own safety. If she is not sufficiently familiar with the equipment that she is using to be able to operate it safely, she shouldn't be using it.

You can't blame this on the friend.

Sorry.

---------------

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
^ this ^ If your wife is riding the bike you should make sure that she knows how to install the front wheel herself and doesn't have to rely on anyone else. Fail.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I not blaming my friends.. I should be blaming it on me.. because I failed to explain to her about quick release and how to re-install the wheel back and re-attached the brake cable.

She is new and I failed to explain to her about the details. My stupid mistake and this will not ever happen again.

·
Registered
23,069 Posts
Wasn't the brake noodle rubbing on the tire making a heck of a racket while riding?

Any time I get on a bike, the first thing I do is brake check front and rear brakes. I don't see how you could ride for any distance and not realize one brake is firm and the other has no resistance what so ever. There's more wrong than just the bike.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I not blaming my friends.. I should be blaming it on me.. because I failed to explain to her about quick release and how to re-install the wheel back and re-attached the brake cable.

She is new and I failed to explain to her about the details. My stupid mistake and this will not ever happen again.
That's the spirit! With a thinking like that your wife will be pro in no time :)

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Never ever trust any body to make sure you, your wife, or kid's bike is good to ride after removing stuff and re-installing, like that front wheel as one example. Always double check stuff after someone says they did something.

And you should blame yourself because you didn't double check to make sure the skewer was tight and the brake was operational. Even If you explain to your wife how something works, you should still check it to be extra safe.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
In addition to everything else, might want to have her put her jacket elsewhere. Either of those arms get sucked into the wheel and she is going over the bars.

Len

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Two things right off the bat:
- quick release not closed;
- V-brake cable not returned to operational position.
The QR doesn't look ready to fall out, but the cable across the tire looks like it's dragging on the tire: my guess is that when the wheel went down the drop, it was in the air a second, and without the rider's inertia it was stopped by the cable, so when it hit the ground, it threw the rider.

How did it look when she fell? I hope she wasn't hurt, but it doesn't sound bad the way you say it.

Maybe, hopefully, she just landed wrong and tipped over, I've done that, we've all done that, there's nothing to be afraid of next time (other than landing wrong and tipping over of course :) )

Good luck to both of you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, she didnt fall at all.. thank god. Its the rear tire skid sideways for a foot or so. That's one of the reason why she wanted the setup that her feet will almost touch flat on the ground when sitting on the saddle.

The jacket was hanged only on the handle bar while taking the photo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just FYI, the bike (saddle height specifically) should be setup for proper leg extension/power transmission to pedals/ moving comfort and not for stopped (non-moving) comfort and/or convenience when stopping ("setup that her feet will almost touch flat on the ground when sitting on the saddle"). Improper setup will yield to injury, pain, and discomfort. If needed she could always stand up when stopping instead of staying on the saddle. Just my 5 cents - I hate to see people with the saddle so low that their knees almost touch their chins when they pedal, I feel their pain every time.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know... thanks for the tip. Yes it is how it was setup for the saddle height when I got her the bike. But she refused to ride if I didn't lower the saddle. Maybe in time, when she feels more comfortable riding her bike, I will extend that up to the proper height.

Just FYI, the bike (saddle height specifically) should be setup for proper leg extension/power transmission to pedals/ moving comfort and not for stopped (non-moving) comfort and/or convenience when stopping ("setup that her feet will almost touch flat on the ground when sitting on the saddle"). Improper setup will yield to injury, pain, and discomfort. If needed she could always stand up when stopping instead of staying on the saddle. Just my 5 cents - I hate to see people with the saddle so low that their knees almost touch their chins when they pedal, I feel their pain every time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.