Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's your current max speed on a descent??..

hello folks! I finally broke the 40 mph speed on my decent today!!I know its probably nothing for most of you but i'm very happy that I finally did it!! before this my top speed was 38.5MPH on a different decent and I told myself I will try and go for 40mph next time..But on the downside I did not make it to the summit of my climb:cry:!.
I have done it before and here is the screen shot from strava, i did it 13 days ago...I'm 5'7 145lbs using a 2010 Giant defy3 with full 105 group...

and today i only reach this point and I just can't go any higher..i was just tired and decided to just enjoy the decent..

here is the screen shot of my max speed, no tail wind, it was very nice day to climb i thought but just my legs was not there today..tomorrow I'll try again..i'm hungry now..

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
You guys should list your weight.

A 130 pounder on a typical road bike (non-aero tires, non-tubular) will be lucky to touch 48 mph on a 6%-7% gradient. But a 200 pounder on the same bike and gradient will hit 53-55 mph almost every single time.

But anything above 45 mph down the twisties.. yer better know what yer doin' and your bike has to be in top shape. Mistakes at these speeds are costly.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sounds like you had a decent descent there.

My all-time fastest was 55.0 MPH down a 12% grade in NH in 2003. In April I topped out at 47.0 MPH. I have some rides coming up this summer with some impressive grades so we'll see what happens. I probably won't let myself go much above 50.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
In ye oldie days on my mtb it was 79km/h on road and 70 off road, but that was with a cycle computer which may or may not have been set up perfectly.
These days on a road bike, i think my max is jsut a bit over 50km/h...I have to admit even though I used to race DH, these days, I am a complete sook on descents on the road, it's really p'ing me off

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
102 kp/h (63 mp/h) @75kg (165 lb),
avg gradient for the segment is around 10.7% but max speed at around 14%
How did that feel? Was the pavement perfect and the road straight?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had a Roubaix up to 40-42 last summer (it was over 40 mph but not by much) and I wasn't a fan of it. There's a section of that certain hill that opens up past some thick trees and a crosswind smacked me at that speed...didn't like that one bit. Since then I've limited it to mid 30's tops. I'm 170lbs BTW...on that same decent, my 250 lb cousin hit close to 60 on a Spec Secteur...i swear, he's missing parts...

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.