Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Centurion conversion fixie, and I don't intend to give it up till it breaks. But I have been dreaming of a new ride.

So far I like the NYC bikes Farm Bred fixed--I like the idea of running a disc up front--and the greater clearance for winter. Though, I think I would prefer to have cantis in back. I tend to use my brakes and ride on the hoods a lot. I don't think the Pista is for me because I'd want a longer Head Tube length to see in traffic.

If I could have it all, I would consider a custom to combine cross geometry and tire clearance with a fixed gear.

What would you ride if cost were no object?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Exactly what I have......

just built up a custom Kirk with eyelets for racks and fenders, Cantis' s etc.

I'm happy.

Len

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have this wicked urge to replace a perfectly adequate - and under-utilised - Bianchi Pista.

With a custom built Bob Jackson fixed wheel frameset from England, to the same geo as my BJ road bike but with a fully chromed finished, plus minimal decals (headbadge, downtube, my name on the TT front end) Chrome plus black, red or orange, not sure which colour decals. All components in polished alloy.

Something like this:

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/jackson_viorelli_full_chrome.htm

and

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/jackson_round_fork_blades.htm

I think it would have a lot of Campag stuff on it too...
FWIW - this frame would start at around $800, plus another $350 for the chrome plate job, bbut it wouldn't take much to push it to over $1600, and that's before you add the polished alloy King headset...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd like a work-of-art Vanilla. I would only take it out on Sundays, and wouldn't even let people look at it -- never mind touch it. That's my lust bike.

For runs to the local pub, I wouldn't change my totally uncool but fun as hell Langster.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
So. How's it ride?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Awesome......

Kram59 said:
So. How's it ride?
I've put about 350 miles on it so far with the longest ride being a metric century.

Finally dialed in all the fit after about 100 miles so it's fitting like a glove now.

I asked Dave for all day comfort with good responsiveness and he delivered in spades.

As you may remember, I have a Serotta Ottrott ST. The ST carbon pivoting seatstays were originally designed by Dave Kirk when he was at Serotta. They were the natural progression from the original DKS system that Dave also designed. Both were aimed at working to keep the rear end planted on wasboard roads, especially in turns by creating a spring like action. I've never ridden a DKS, but the ST on the Ottrott is noticably stable on rough roads and in corners. A Side benefit is that it is that little bit more comfortable. Dave designed the Terraplane seatstays to accomplish the same thing. As he says on his websight:

"The curved seatstays of the Terraplane allow a small amount of vertical movement and are designed to keep the rear tire in firm and constant contact with the surface. Each set of stays is bent by hand to a given radius determined by the size and weight of the rider and the intended use of the bike. The feel and stiffness of the frame is regulated by the amount of bend in the stays. Heavy riders generally would have less bend to allow less movement. Lighter riders would have more bend and more travel.
With the Terraplane option you'll feel more confident cornering and descending, and you'll enjoy true all day comfort. The Terraplane option is available with both fillet brazed and lugged bikes and with most any type of brake system. "

After 350 miles, I can say that it works as advertised.....it is more stable on rougher roads than any standard stay bike I've ridden.

As to the comfort.....it is a very comfortable bike......I suspect that the comfort is a combination of the original Dave design, the Terraplane seatstays and the Conti 28 tires pumped to just below 100 PSI that I have on the bike. Frankly, I don't care where the comfort comes from, I'm just glad it's there.

As to responsiveness......There is no feeling of lag when I want to accelerate. It's a little less responsive than the Merckx MXL or the Ottrott I have but the difference is very small. It's a great balance between comfort and responsivness. One other variable is that I have 165 cranks on this bike vs 172.5 on the other 2....so some of the difference could be caused by this.

All in all, I'm very happy with the bike......each ride gets a little better.

I have a Brooks Swallow on the bike & unlike the other Swallows I have, this seat is taking longer to break in.......visually, it appears that the leather is slightly thicker than the other 2 I have so that may be the culprit.....we'll see.

A little long winded but I think you get the idea.

Len

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.