Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Merckx eBay thread got me wondering. What is your cycling Holy Grail? Any year. Any builder. Any model. Stock components only, though, please.

What makes it your personal Grail? History? Rarity? Nostalgia? Aesthetics?

Come share some history with all us newbies...

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Sachs or other artisan builder

Opus51569 said:
The Merckx eBay thread got me wondering. What is your cycling Holy Grail? Any year. Any builder. Any model. Stock components only, though, please.

What makes it your personal Grail? History? Rarity? Nostalgia? Aesthetics?

Come share some history with all us newbies...
I would rather have a one of a kind piece of art like a Sachs or similar. Stainless lugs, attention to detail, great paint. Don't care what it weighs. Having an assembly line carbon bike, no matter how high end, just doesn't compare

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,287 Posts
1949 Legnano

Not necessarily this particular example, but an Italian racing bike from this era. From the time of Barchetta Ferraris, the Mille Miglia, and the epic battles of Coppi and Bartali. The bicycles are still ancient, but they're no longer Stone Age.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scmaddog17 said:
something custom... DeSalvo, Argonaut, Vanilla, Zanconato
Okay, at the risk of displaying my complete and utter ignorance, you just named four builders I've never heard of. What is it about their work that makes one of their bikes the Holy Grail for you?

·
Worker Ant
199 Posts
Opus51569 said:
Okay, at the risk of displaying my complete and utter ignorance, you just named four builders I've never heard of. What is it about their work that makes one of their bikes the Holy Grail for you?

They all build beautiful bikes. go to their sites and check them out. and they use steel which is what i prefer

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
I'm working on mine right now . . . from Black Sheep.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
My Holy Grail is constantly moving..

It used to be a LOOK Reynolds 753 and I finally found one about 5 years ago..It took me 5
years to find one....

Than it was a 3Rensho......I now own two..one track and one road,.....

My latest quest is a Zunow( rare Japanese frame). This one might take longer than my LOOK

Pics are of my LOOK, two 3Renshos and an example of a Zunow

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
Della Santa for sure. I've always wanted one of his frames once I found out that he was Lemond's builder (and I'm old enough to remember what Lemond was like before he went crazy), and I've been dying for one for almost 20 years now.

Lugged steel built just for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Steel bikes all look the same to me; skinny round tubes and a couple of wheels. Throw in a nice paint job and everyone goes gaga. I didn't realize cycling was about paint jobs.

Carbon Fiber bikes look exotic and cool. Too bad they're as delicate as fine crystal glassware. I worry about my CF bike falling over when i'm trying to fall asleep at night.

For me cycling isn't about the bike...its about performance. My holy grail is to increase my overall average speed by 2.9 mph on the mountainous 30 mile loop that i ride. Then i can brag to myself that i'm a bad-ass.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keeping in this same vein, I'm curious if, like certain classic cars, there are bikes that are considered legendary or even mythic. Bikes that are iconic. Or, is it more a matter of personal taste and preference?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts