Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought myself a new roadie to help improve my fitness since it really seems to be lacking when I am on the mountain bike. I have been taking a lot of flack from my fellow mtbr's sinec I am a die hard SSer and have talked a lot of trash about owning a road bike and said I would never buy one, but I have found a great new passion and its climbing. I am by no means a little guy 6' 260 and gravity is hell on me but our local hill has been great and am really loving the suffering that it takes to get my fat a$$ up it. So I thought I would share and see what everyone else likes climbing in there home town.

Mount Lemmon Tucson, AZ roughly 30 miles and tops out around 9000' I have been only riding up about 15 miles but will probably add an extra 5 or so in the next few weeks.

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
Lemmon's closest to me too ;)

You might wanna go try Kitt as well.. since you love the climb

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've done Palomar Mountain several times, and that's a pretty brutal climb. For local short climbs (7 minutes or less) there's the hill going past Torrey Pines State Reserve. Great for hill repeats and attack workouts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Denver front range here. Just about any ride out of Boulder or Golden gets you 3-4K feet of continuous climbing in under 15 miles. Squaw Pass out of Evergreen tops out over 11K feet and has some amazing views. If you're really in to punishment, you can add on another 15 miles and climb up to Mt Evans and 14K feet. Total ride is 32 miles/7K feet of climbing. It's a b*tch and oxygen is hard to come by (then again, that amount of climbing would be a pain at sea level)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Southern Indiana -- no long climbs at all, but lots of short rollers. Some of them brutally steep. Many will gain 200-300ft elevation in just a couple tenths of a mile.

This is a decent example:

·
Registered
41 Posts
this was my first century, a charity club ride here in jamaica. We do a lot of climbing cause Jamaica is one big mountain. I got the profile from our ride master. About killed me, it was gratifying to train hard for this ride and complete it. not sure how it stacks up to other areas but I have only been riding for the past three months and i was happy with the results:112miles, 7hrs 48min ride time, max spd 44, avg spd 14.5. Did 20miles of the toughest climbs i have ever done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
wioutdoors said:
Denver front range here. Just about any ride out of Boulder or Golden gets you 3-4K feet of continuous climbing in under 15 miles. Squaw Pass out of Evergreen tops out over 11K feet and has some amazing views. If you're really in to punishment, you can add on another 15 miles and climb up to Mt Evans and 14K feet. Total ride is 32 miles/7K feet of climbing. It's a b*tch and oxygen is hard to come by (then again, that amount of climbing would be a pain at sea level)
Or you could start in Golden climb lookout to Squaw and then on up Mt Evans and it will be right around 100 miles round trip and over 10K feet of climbing :D

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Denver front range area. Too many to count. Lookout Mtn is a good one but it's a short climb. Deer Creek is another good one but also on the short side. High Grade is an offshoot of Deer Creek and packs about 3500ft of climbing into 20-ish miles.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
We have Newport Coast, Santiago Canyon, Canon in Orange, The Rollers along PCH and that's without leaving Orange County. All of these are under 8% for the most part with some going as steep as 9.5%.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
JustTooBig said:
It's hard to capture the angle of a climb, but that pic does a fantastic job! And yeah, that's steep! My "climb" is a very steep bridge of about 50 feet. I try to convince that riding into the wind is a good simulation, but I know I'm only lying to myself.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
San Bruno mountain in California. Averages ~6-7%, and at some point getting to 11%. I live 5 minutes away from it - 3 if I rush there - navigating through ~100m of "cobbles" and then some smooth road. hehe. Gets repetitive as a 1.5mi climb, but it's hard to justify going further out instead of doing repeats since I live so close, and I've got asthma anyway :p. I even show up in casual clothes for quick (well, maybe not in comparison to others) climbs to squeeze in my schedule.

Guess the short distance is teaching me things by constantly exposing me to the same stuff until I realize how to work with it tactically. I'd assume I could only do so many workout variations with it until I hit a wall/plateau.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Southern Indiana -- no long climbs at all, but lots of short rollers. Some of them brutally steep. Many will gain 200-300ft elevation in just a couple tenths of a mile.

That's a lot like I see in here in around Manchester, NH. I don't think there's a flat mile (combined) in any of my 20-25mi routes.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.